Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

New tarpon report....

Just posted a new fishing report for anyone interested........... It's on Microskiff.com. I tried to cut an paste it here but no joy....

I will go find your report. I always enjoy them. I too, am having problems cutting and pasteing on this forum. I just thought it was my puter.

Just for you Capt B…Great report thanks for sharing. Couldn't get the whole post.

BTW, That sawfish was awesome!

Our last dance with the tarpon came just two nights ago and was much closer, in Biscayne Bay. Every night on the falling tide small fish (averaging 20 to 40lbs, with a few much bigger....) will load up in the urban areas of the Bay between Miami and Miami Beach. That night I once again had local angler Brad Golub and visiting angler Vince aboard. Vince on the fly rod - Brad using light spinnning gear with a lure. That night the fish were hungry and just a bit crazy (more about that later...). The very first spot we visited, a docklight, had one very nice sized fish cruising back and forth. After a few casts with a 9wt rod Vince put the fly where the fish could see it and we got the fun of watching it follow for a few feet then just attack the fly... Vince didn't stay connected long but it was spectacular while it lasted. Our next spot, by a bridge was even better. That night we jumped at least eight fish at one spot or other and the fish were striking lures (DOA shrimp) or flies (the Night Fly) equally well. As the night progressed the fish got hungrier (and it possible, crazier). Anyone that hooks up on a small tarpon up to about 40lbs at close quarters can testify to just how crazy things can get with a jumping fish right next to the boat.... Two fish in a row went so ballistic at the beginning of the fight that they actually ran into my pushpole knocking it off the cleats... A fish or two later Vince had a nice thirty pounder near the boat and as I was preparing to take photo the fish jumped right in the boat with us...
A crazy tarpon in the boat is a serious problem since their heavy slime coating make them impossible to grab as they're beating up everything in sight... We finally managed to control the fish, and release it -much the worse for wear. My skiff was covered with scales, slime, and various other fluids and all of us just took a break to recover... At any rate here's one of the fish from that night...
VinceGolubBradniteT_zpsc3a8062a.jpg