Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Paint Creek today

Couldn't let a beautiful 80 degree day go by without fishing. Spent the day on Paint Creek for most the morning & afternoon. Fished the new rod I built for streamer fishing Paint Creek and it worked just as I hope, throws the sinking line with ease and is short enough to make it easy fishing in the tight confines of the creek. Landed about 8 or so trout today and had at least that many slash and grab as the fly. Also spooked three deer while going through the brush, dunno who jumped higher the deer or me. real enjoyable day on the creek today.

8bFl5O.jpg
cTRYDn.jpg
HM8NHq.jpg
3qJjcP.jpg

Wouldn't a 7ft 4wt make more sense though Steve, for those fish anyway ? Nice little fish by the way and I think we are actually supposed to hit 70f here tomorrow finally..

The 7wt isn't for fish size its for the line used. A 4wt wouldn't throw the Class V sinking line very well, too much line for a little rod like that. The heavy sinking line is needed because of the short casts and fast water so you have to get the fly down in a hurry to get to the fish. There are some better fish in there as well, every year there's some fish in the mid to upper teens caught.

The 7wt isn't for fish size its for the line used. A 4wt wouldn't throw the Class V sinking line very well, too much line for a little rod like that. The heavy sinking line is needed because of the short casts and fast water so you have to get the fly down in a hurry to get to the fish. There are some better fish in there as well, every year there's some fish in the mid to upper teens caught.

Makes sense. We used to use 6-7 wt in mid winter with open water with 5 sink rate lines, full sink. No more of that stuff for me though.

Pretty fish. Glad the rod design worked out. Also glad you're finally getting Spring weather.

Pretty fish. Glad the rod design worked out. Also glad you're finally getting Spring weather.

Yeah I got my first sunburn of the year too lol. Neck & shoulders are pretty red.

Sounds like a good day. I never could get used to full sinkers in a stream, I do better with shot. How do you keep the retrieved line from being under foot? Basket?

Even with the line being FS there's usually enough current to help the stripped in line drift downstream a bit so getting under foot usually isn't a problem. About the only time I use a stripping basket is in the boat, and for some reason I never could get use to using one for some reason so even then I rarely use it.

Those are beautiful,Steve!

Steve, you ever try tenkara in that small stream?..maybe an 8' tenkara..you would probably need split-shot to get down..they are pretty fish..and they look so tasty..lol.

Great photo of the small rapids on the creek. Looks like a fun place to fly fish.

Have a great day,

Thomas

Yeah it's a nice thing to have here in SE Michigan for an urban fishery. It's nice to be able to drive a short 15 minutes and fish for trout in a setting that makes you forget you are surrounded by city. It's not a great fishery like we have on the Au Sable and such, but when you can't get to those rivers that are 2-3 hours North it's nice to be able to sneak away to the creek for a few hours.