Fly Tying
Betty

Northeast Striper Time

This year it is the "Year of The Sandeel", tons of them offshore and inshore (surf fishing is really tough with weather and the fish staying off the beach) yet we score. This red sandeel is a good fly for early AM, cloudy days, dusk and at night....but lately daytime has been working.

post-18342-0-80741500-1385132407_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-00642100-1385132421_thumb.jpg

This fly has been a productive fly for us along the NJ shore for the past few years.

post-18342-0-69038600-1385600541_thumb.jpg

Very nice fish ... nice flies, too. Last time I was up there, I was catching small stripers ... but I didn't have a travel fly rod then. I was catching them on a small rattle trap.

I am hoping to get up there again this year ... and I DO have a travel fly rod now.

Scud...it's a combination of a Bob Popovics' Bucktail Deceiver tyed like a sand eel with some red crystal flash and finally a flat wing tye on top. I use grizzly hackle and just for this tye jungle cock eyes. 1/0 hook for this fly it can be tyed smaller for sure.

I need to take a day off to fish in the surf. I live in lower Delaware and most weekend in the the last two week have rained or windy. I guess this this coming weekend it is going to snow.

Here is another yellow fly, Bob Popovics' Hollow Flye a little longer than 8 inches.......

post-18342-0-02080400-1388696890_thumb.jpg

Here is another yellow fly, Bob Popovics' Hollow Flye a little longer than 8 inches.......

Great looking fly, Ilove the hollow flyes

Thanks guys for the nice comments. Been away from the board with family things and getting ready for a trip to New Orleans for some redfish. I'll let you all know how the trip turned out when I get back. This is my fourth year there and it is one heck of a place to fly rod big reds!