Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HighPlainsDrifter

Marsh Tiger

I love spun deer hair. How big is that rascal and what species is your target? Definitely looks fish food.

Show us what you catch Friday as well.

Take some scissors and on the day you can cut a big slant on the head to make an awesome diver. I agree, how big is that thing? Look forward to seeing what nails that.

Sure looks like a winner to me. If you have any fouling problems, a mono loop under the tail will fix that. I read somewhere that you have to love spinning deer hair to become really good at it. If so, then you've already won half the battle.

Oh its big but I didn't think it was that big. lol. Here is a picture next to a penny for reference. Is it too big? The hook is an Allen saltwater 2/0.

I'm after redfish and specs. I'm hoping I still get to go tomorrow, I realized today that my wife has the truck out of town and the prius doesn't have a hitch. If I can't find a buddy, I might have to launch the boat with the mower! We shall see. I'll keep you posted. I tied a few of these with some lead eyes as well to get them down a little in the water.

IMG_1769_zpsc4d14778.jpg

Nice work on the deer hair. I agree with Piker that a loped head will make a great diver. I would also suggest taking a razor blade and cutting the bottom half flat. It looks like the gape is a bit crowded which may mean a lot of missed hook ups. The reds and trout and everything else will nail it for sure. Also what PJ said about the dubbing loop is spot on, since rabbit tail as a tendency to foul when casting. Another option to the loop, is to put a little bit of UV cement or epoxy on about a 1/4 inch or so of the hide of the rabbit strip where it sticks out from the hook which will stiffen that part of the tail and help prevent fouling

Looks good to me and I also like to spin deer hair. I do agree with agn54 on trimming the bottom closer to the hook shank to open the hook gap. I usually use scissors to trim the bottom. I trim quite close to the hook and the scissors will help prevent cutting into the thread and trashing the fly.

Size will not matter for reds or specks, they eat live pinfish bigger than that....nice hairwork by the way

Murray

So, i took it out today and I've decided to trim the head and fix the tail. Where are you guys thinking the sloped head should stop? I'm picturing right behind that first wide black stripe. Opinions?