Fly Tying
Capt Bob LeMay

Fishing report, Everglades days, Biscayne nights, 4 July

Here's a copy of this week's fishing report. As usual not nearly enough fly fishing... The night trip in this report would have been even better with an 8 or 9wt rod (the night fish eat flies better than almost anything else...).

Been about two weeks since my last report. As the title indicates I'm fishing both day and night charters now (next week it's all night bookings so far...)

Out in the 'Glades, launching out of Flamingo we're finding very nice sized mangrove snapper in small rivers (up to around 18") and you can limit out in less than 20 minutes (ten fish for two anglers) any time you choose. Still lots of tarpon in the rivers that drain out into the Gulf coast from the Shark River northwards along with so many shark that, at times you can't even consider live bait... The tarpon vary in size from up to around 60-70 lbs to a few spots that are holding much bigger fish -many well over 100lbs... One spot with the biggest tarpon is also holding a lot of black drum - the small ones weighing nearly 20lbs and willing to hit flies... Along with everything else the snook, redfish, and trout are making a pretty good showing on topwater lures or small jigs -and will all summer long... Here's a few pics from the 'Glades...

Suncineredfish_zpse0572604.jpg

Here's local angler Kevin Suncine with his son's redfish in the mouth of a small creek.

Huggard1_zpsa9858d20.jpg

European angler Joe Huggard with a wild 60lb tarpon on fly... it was his third cast that day and really took us to school before breaking off after a trip up and down the river....

Huggardblackdrumonfly_zpsd783513d.jpg

Huggardblackdrum_zps839e617f.jpg

Joe again with a 19lb black drum on fly, carefully released to fight again... This particular small river was also holding tarpon well over 100lbs but they wouldn't take our flies that day. Two days before two anglers jumped four fish up to and over 100lbs in that same spot with live bait. Our last two, were a simultaneous double header in a river less than 100 feet wide.... (pretty much tarpon heaven if you can stay connected...).

Locally, at night it's a completely different world, fishing bridges and docklights in the urban portions of Biscayne Bay. We only do a five hour trip at night since it's based on the falling tide - and we're looking at most of our targets.... Visiting angler Leonard Porcano and his wife came out with me one night a few days ago and we were in fish the moment it got dark. Using only light spinning gear and small lures we jumped 10 or 11 fish (I lost count that night). Here's a few pics from that night....

Porcanonighttarp1_zps1edffbb0.jpg

porcanotarpon3_zpsf218b371.jpg

porcanotarpon1_zpsc961ccc4.jpg

This will be the routine all summer long -either out in the 'Glades during the daytime or on the water at night locally... As we move through summer the big tarpon will increase in numbers and every fish you encounter will be starving... at night there will be fish under almost every bridge locally and the docklights will just shine any time you hit them.

Be a hero... take a kid fishing..

Thanks guys, now if only the summer mosquitoes, rain, lightning, etc. would give it a rest then the I'd have a bit more time with anglers. This time of year anglers have to be pretty tough to fish in the jungle....

I'm heading to the Yucatan next month. I haven't done a summer trip down there in quite awhile. Hope I'm tough enough to handle it again.