Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
silverbullet32

Bass Poppers

Het guys!

I'm new to the site and new to tying!

I just ordered my beginners tying kit from Cabela's and should be here tomorrow. I ordered popper bodies and a grab bag full of materials. I trout fish alot but my new passion is topwater bass fishing. I love using my spinning gear as that is what I have always used. Right now I'm focusing on just tying flies as I need something to do this summer. I am starting this thread to get any advice on tying bass poppers and panfish poppers. But any advice will be great!

You can start by taking a look in the ftf database as there are some outstanding patterns in there. Most have tying instructions and material list but if not Just ask and someone will help with anything you need help with. These folks here are always willing to share tips and techniques to help even the most advanced tyers. welcome aboard by the way. snook

I've been making bass poppers for a long time. Since you said you purchased bodies, one of the problems I've encountered with pre-made bodies is the hook sizes they often recommend are usually too small for the body size. I use the Wapsi Perfect Poppers a lot, but use bigger size hooks than they indicate on the package. For example I often use a 1/0 hook in the bodies that are made for # 2 hooks. They still float just fine & my poppers have a lot more "bite" to them.

The only other tip I can give is don't over dress them. This goes with the hook issue too. Too small a hook & too much materials will limit the number of bass you hook.

Any help I can give you, just ask!

Checkout the database for poppers made by Big Daddy Hubbard too, he makes some great looking poppers & sliders!

Hi Silverbullet32;

If your heart's not set in stone on making hard body poppers but just topwater patterns, I'd recommend Gurgle-Pops and Gartside Gurglers. They're much easier to tie and just as effective.

Both fly patterns are former fly of the week patterns at FAOL(Fly anglers On-line).

Gurgle-pop 4th quarter 2003, Gartside gurgler 2nd quarter 1999

I made tons of foam boddied popeers when I started tying but found these two patterns just as effective if not more effective and much easier/quicker to make, also cheaper.

Just a thought;

Wayneb

Welcome, silverbullet32.

I know you're just starting out, but one of these days, get you some deer or caribou and try your hand at spinning popper bodies and bass bugs. I catch a lot of largemouth, crappie and bluegill out of my pond with spun-bodied bugs. And the great thing about bass and panfish...they couldn't care less if its perfect or not. Give it a try once you get the hang of the pre-mades. Good luck.