Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave G.

I'm slowly learning to tie left handed

Ya, after decades of right handed tying, teaching a left handed grandson is forcing me into left handed tying. I think I mentioned here before, the whip finish and even half hitches have been a challenge for both he and myself to get it conveyed to him to succeed at those.. Someone suggested a mirror and someone suggested sitting opposite one another. I concluded from it all and after much experimentation that I need to instruct from his position, with the vise faced correctly for him as a lefty, not mine. But this morning I conquered both finishes from his position by grabbing some sewing thread ( orange no less), the Matarelli and sitting on the opposite side of the bench like he does and literally taking tying steps left handed, including tying off. I've tried every conceivable way I could think of to show him those finishes from my right handed position opposite him and it just came down to where he wanted me to tie them off, and that can't do. And he is turning into a decent tyer too, can do a very decent EHC now, Woolly bugger and palmered marabou streamers, however he needs to be able to tie them off ! He will be here again on Thurs and we will get him doing this.

I just needed to share/vent the excitement, when I get done with Andrew, I should be able to instruct at least the basic steps required to tie a fly from either position. And Andrew if for nothing else, will tie a nice EHC and a couple of streamer flies to completion..

Hi Dave,

We are with you. Years ago we learned to tie left handed and backward so we could easily reach across a table to demonstrate different functions during fly-tying classes. That said, we never did learn to do a whip-finish (tool or hand) from across a table. Good luck with teaching Andrew and post a picture of one of his first flies. Take care & ...

Hi Dave,

We are with you. Years ago we learned to tie left handed and backward so we could easily reach across a table to demonstrate different functions during fly-tying classes. That said, we never did learn to do a whip-finish (tool or hand) from across a table. Good luck with teaching Andrew and post a picture of one of his first flies. Take care & ...

Thanks guys ! The across the table thing and wrapping in reverse really messed things up. I have high hopes for taking up this new position.

Congrats to you both that you can tie so many different ways effectively !

I heard once that it is great exercise for the brain to learn how to do something with the opposite hand.

Get out of the way, Lumosity!

I was a part of a local organization that had a bunch of great old-timers - fly tyers - years ago. One of them invited me to tie with him and I accepted of course. I didn't bring anything as I thought he was providing everything - he was a gracious person.

I get there and see his setup and realize that he tied left handed - even though he was a right handed person! EVERYTHING he showed me that day was left handed. So he asks me to tie a fly for him and I go through the motions left handed. Talk about an experience. I was somewhat ashamed of my results as I tie right handed. I think he knew this though and still gave me materials for the fly that we tied that day. Still have some of them.

So, trying to tie or shoot a gun with your 'off hand' - I commend you for your efforts.

BCT

I heard once that it is great exercise for the brain to learn how to do something with the opposite hand.

Get out of the way, Lumosity!

I play piano and can toss notes around from the left hand to the right but that is not like trying to convey something to another human in reverse so that it comes out looking forward. Never mind just doing it in reverse. So this ( what i am doing) is the best answer LOL.

"So, trying to tie or shoot a gun with your 'off hand' - I commend you for your efforts.

BCT"

Thanks, I must say it's been quite an experience thus far. But I'm looking at it as a provision, I will be able to teach other left handed people should the occasion arise again. Not to mention the boy and I get some bond time in together.

Hmmm. Me, I'm left handed but learned to do a quite a few things right handed over the years. However I never thought about right or left handed fly tying. I just like to hold my materials with my left and wrap the thread with my right. Looking at all the photos of flies taken in the vise by others told me I was a right handed tier I guess. What ever works.

How old is your grandson anyway? I first played with a fly rod when about 10 years old ( fifty yrs ago ) but never got into it probably because my dad didn't take to it and no else I knew fly fished. Sad because it is truly a great recreation and stress reliever in so many ways.

I can share your excitement with the conquest of tying in your opposite hand! I too had to master the challenge (for tying classes) and I still remember the tremendous concentration it took to make my left hand do what came so easily with my right - the funny thing was that soon after being able to make the finish knots with either hand, it seems as natural one hand or the other! Congratulations on your dedication to the craft and teaching your grandson!

Hmmm. Me, I'm left handed but learned to do a quite a few things right handed over the years. However I never thought about right or left handed fly tying. I just like to hold my materials with my left and wrap the thread with my right. Looking at all the photos of flies taken in the vise by others told me I was a right handed tier I guess. What ever works.

I am similar kinda ambidextrous kind of not. I throw right handed and write left handed for whatever reason, somethings I just end up doing more naturally with one hand vs the other.

How old is your grandson anyway? I first played with a fly rod when about 10 years old ( fifty yrs ago )

The wife tells me he will be 10 in June. I thought he was going to be 11. He's a rugged boy, plays football and stuff.

I have a standing declaration in my house: No river fishing with kids till they are at least 10 and know how to swim, then I will be glad to take them.. Truth be known I would prefer 12 but that nixes some early learning. I'll teach anyone who wants to learn to tie though, don't care if they are 8 or 80. They just have to be willing to be taught with my bad habits and all LOL.

I can share your excitement with the conquest of tying in your opposite hand! I too had to master the challenge (for tying classes) and I still remember the tremendous concentration it took to make my left hand do what came so easily with my right - the funny thing was that soon after being able to make the finish knots with either hand, it seems as natural one hand or the other! Congratulations on your dedication to the craft and teaching your grandson!

I've taught a few people the basics and this is my third Grandson to learn from me but the only left handed person. Fly casting as well, though I haven't had a whack at this guy with that yet. I have another grandson who would like to build a rod with me, he will be 14 this year coming up in May.

Today at some point I'm going to ditch the sewing thread and use some 8/0 tying thread left handed.