Fly Tying
salarfishing

time for some new fly boxes

I don't ... for three reasons:

(1) There is no "winter" here, so I never have time to sit for hours and tie hundreds of flies.

(2) I am rarely home long enough at a stretch to sit around and tie hundreds of flies.

(3) I only tie what I need to go for a weekend or two. If I get low, I restock.

Salarfishing, looks like you've been busy! At times I have had the problem of tying more flies than I have boxes to hold them. I don't tie Steelhead or Salmon flies generally as I simply don't fish for those species. As far as needing new boxes, I tend to go with the least expensive, yet functional boxes I can find. I know everyone has their opinions, but I can't bring myself to pay more for a box because it has a popular brand name on it.

I think if I was tying the same style flies you're tying I would want a metal type box with the clips to hold the flies such as the old Wheatley's or Perrines. I prefer waterproof boxes, but that style IMO is more appropriate for such stylish flies. (Based solely on nostalgia from pictures I've seen! wub.png )

Okuma makes some that appear to be well made if you're not concerned about their place of origin.

Here's the type of box I like generally, but for my larger flies I use the basic Plano or Flambeau type. As you can see, I do have some "Steelhead" type flies in my boxes. They're quite productive on river bass as well! smile.png

100_4292.jpg

100_4287.jpg

I was noticing Mike, you've been home for a while now, when you get back out on the road again? Not complaining, just noticing. Nice to be home for a while is it?

BCT

Yeah ... it's good spending this much time. I was in Houston the first two weeks of November, but home all of December and this month. February 2nd ... I head off to Chicago, or just south of there, anyway. Spending most of February and two weeks of March up there. (I'm really hoping for an early Spring)

Looks like I might be going to Rota, Spain in April ... that'll be fun.

Wally, I have a few Simms boxes, and agree, they are not too bad at all. Tidewater, nice looking flies and those look to be some good box choices as well. The second one would probably be pretty good for flies i'm tying right now, which are larger (a bunch of size 2's thru 3/0's) as I do a fair amount of early season bright salmon fishing, in big and sometimes murky water, and the larger sizes are needed then. I've been looking at the Cliff Outdoor boxes and think I'm going to order one up. I like the description of the foam as with many boxes I've had in the past, the foam gets worn out, or doesn't hold the fly well, with the larger flies. I do like the Wheatley's too, and they are a "classic". Anyone try Cliff Outdoors boxes?

I use the bugger barn for intruders, leeches and the like as well as a smaller version of that box for wets and wakers. Love them and have used them for several seasons now.

i am die hard 'cf design' styled boxes, especially the bugger barn. it is nice to see that my local brick and mortar carry a knock off for half the price.

fly boxes are for the river!! lol.

i gut my boxes at this time of the year and bin them in cheap dollar store containers. as the season progresses the bins get fuller as i tie. this is great way to track what is tied, and what needs to be tied. plus it looks kinda neat to have all my flies binned up like a store, lol.

Flies that good need a Wheatley box- either new or vintage.

agreed. there is something about classic salmon flies in a Wheatly box. not the box for me though. it was like trying to carry an empty pop can without damaging it.

I never like the old Perrine fly boxes with the springs and clips, simply because they sank pretty quickly if you should manage to drop one. I have on occasion fallen in (OK, more times than I can count.) Plastic boxes float better when they are swept out of an open pocket. I have dumped a canoe and spilled rods reels, vest, boxes into the drink. After recovering the canoe, and the rods, I paddled downstream and one by one was able to find and retrieve the reel, and fly vest. I found all but one of the fly boxes. I did see the last one, but it was under a downed tree, and I couldn't get too it.

I usually go for inexpensive boxes, and I have dozens. I also have about 10 large (14 X 9 x 2) storage boxes. By the time I head off fishing next summer, they will all be full. A few years ago, I picked up some Perrine boxes in a yard sale, and decided to drill out the rivets that held the springs and clips and then line the boxes with foam sheets. Now they will float, and I keep a look out for them when shopping yard sales, and flea markets.

I would be booted out of most fancy fishing lodges and camps for the rag tag collection of cheap boxes, rods, reels, and other gear.

I would be booted out of most fancy fishing lodges and camps for the rag tag collection of cheap boxes, rods, reels, and other gear.

i'll be your bunk mate. we'd be like a pair of mismatched socks, lol.