Fly Tying

I just moved to South Texas and small crayfish patterns tend to work very well for smallmouth bass, Guadalupe bass, panfish and the Rio Ciclids. They also work for other fish like catfish and trout as well. So I decided to come up with my own small crayfish pattern. Now, I am sure someone has tied something similar to this in the past, maybe even exact. If you know of a fly that is similar or exact that has already been tied, please let me know. Pretty much everything under the sun has been tied before, and someone always seems to lay claim to a pattern. In fact I will regularly have multiple people lay claim to the same fly every time I make a video. But, either way, I thought this combination of materials and way to put them onto a hook was something that would work for this area. So I made it. LOL Ok so, with that aside. This fly will be able to be fished like a nymph, but also like a crayfish streamer as well. I mean, you could float it under an indicator, or put it on as the sole fly, and site cast to fish. Bounce it off the bottom, or swim it right by them. I do think this fly is very versatile in the way you can fish it. You tell me what your experience with it is.

I just moved to South Texas and small crayfish patterns tend to work very well for smallmouth bass, Guadalupe bass, panfish and the Rio Ciclids. They also work for other fish like catfish and trout as well. So I decided to come up with my own small crayfish pattern. Now, I am sure someone has tied something similar to this in the past, maybe even exact. If you know of a fly that is similar or exact that has already been tied, please let me know. Pretty much everything under the sun has been tied before, and someone always seems to lay claim to a pattern. In fact I will regularly have multiple people lay claim to the same fly every time I make a video. But, either way, I thought this combination of materials and way to put them onto a hook was something that would work for this area. So I made it. LOL Ok so, with that aside. This fly will be able to be fished like a nymph, but also like a crayfish streamer as well. I mean, you could float it under an indicator, or put it on as the sole fly, and site cast to fish. Bounce it off the bottom, or swim it right by them. I do think this fly is very versatile in the way you can fish it. You tell me what your experience with it is.

Thanks shaun I enjoyed that :)

Nice bug!! Fish it out for carp (and the bass that often follow them). Indicator of course. You can even euro this thing. It’s like you always gotta have some of these with you. Very nice Retro.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, Al Agelwei said:

Nice bug!! Fish it out for carp (and the bass that often follow them). Indicator of course. You can even euro this thing. It’s like you always gotta have some of these with you. Very nice Retro.

So my fly works well for you?  Glad to hear it.  

On 11/17/2020 at 7:33 AM, skeet3t said:

I first thought of carp. Nice tie and effective for a lot of species.

Thanks Skeet.  Yeah so carp if tied a little larger I think.  I mean, at least a heavier hook.  

The Guadalupe River is stocked with trout. There is a Trout Unlimited chapter in that area. I think it is the only river with trout. There is a couple who come up from TX to East Tennessee to fish our local Hiwassee River. Just thought...the crawfish pattern would be good for the big brown trout there. Will field test and let everyone know. Any excuse to go fishing!

Check the TX regulations for the latest on  the river. Can't remember if they are rainbows or brown trout. Saw one summer day on Lone Star Law- the river was flooded with tubers.This might have been down river from the dam and cold water. Good luck! Either way the fly should account for a lot of fish!