Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

The ice pyramid and the sunset......

The spring is getting closer but still there is ice and snow to see in my hometown.

The good thing is that the weather is getting warmer and within a few weeks the snow will disappear :-) :-)

A few weeks back i went down to the lake to take a look at the sunset and hopefully get a phto or two.

I found a ice pyramid and tried to make something out of it while the sun went down on the other side of the lake.

I think it became quite nice.

25469148051_3ca3020b17_h.jpg

Terje

You found it???? That's gotta be man-made!

But it's a really pretty setting and great picture.

Terje-

This is one of your best photos yet! Compositionally you have a foreground, middle, and background. And your use of light is fantastic, love how the ice is backlit, with the structure of the ice showing. Exposure is perfect.

In the States, we call those pyramid "cairns", which I believe originated with the Inuit Eskimos who used them as markers on trails, and also along shorelines when they were hunting.

Thanks for posting.

Bill

LOL Kentucky ... Terje is closer to where the word "Cairn" comes from than we are.

Definition ... "A cairn is a human-made pile (or stack) of stones. The word cairn comes from the Scottish Gaelic"

Sorry Terje. I can't share the other's appreciation for your photograph. Although the sun, sky, earth and water are all beautiful and beautifully captured in the photo ... in my eyes, anything man-made detracts from the image. A large piece of ice, propped to look like it might have fallen or been pushed by water, would have captured the sunlight as well, or better than your "cairn".

No ... Terje know's I love his nature shots. I've also expressed my dislike of anything man-made, before.

As to the actual phrasing I used, no to that also. There is NOTHING man-made that "adds" to natural scenery, except one.

I'd be the first one to admit that flying over a lit city is prettier than flying over black "nothing" of a night flight.

Terje-

This is one of your best photos yet! Compositionally you have a foreground, middle, and background. And your use of light is fantastic, love how the ice is backlit, with the structure of the ice showing. Exposure is perfect.

In the States, we call those pyramid "cairns", which I believe originated with the Inuit Eskimos who used them as markers on trails, and also along shorelines when they were hunting.

Thanks for posting.

Bill

Thanks a lot, Bill :-) :-)

I acctually consider it one of my best too :-) :-) .......i really loved the light on this one and also the scenery :-)

When it comes to Mikes view i have absolutely no problems with that whatsoever :-) A photo either appeal to you or it does´nt :-)

In my opinion man made items can be a nice addition to any photo used right, and i will not let anything limit my creativity or view of nature based on what other people mean (no offence Mike :-) )

You have every right to see things your way, and i will continue to se the world through my eyes and in my own way :-) :-) It´s as simple as that :-) :-)

FlaFly:

Found it was not the right words in this case........it was rather "came over this man made pyramid" i guess :-)

Thanks a lot, btw :-) :-)

Thanks guys :-)

Terje

I guess then, Mike, that you don't like Eide's photographs of man-made flies.

Also didn't you like any of Terje's great photos of the red cabin with the grass roof, and those of his town's waterfront at night?

Although the sun, sky, earth and water are all beautiful and beautifully captured in the photo ... in my eyes, anything man-made detracts from the image.

Notice I did not say anything bad about Terje's ability with a camera. I just don't like the "structure" in the photo.

There is NOTHING man-made that "adds" to natural scenery, except one.

Natural scenery being the key words here ... I didn't say "nothing man makes is beautiful" ... just that Nature cannot be improved upon by man's "fiddling" or "buildings".

I guess then, Mike, that you don't like Eide's photographs of man-made flies.

Also didn't you like any of Terje's great photos of the red cabin with the grass roof, and those of his town's waterfront at night?

So ... I greatly appreciate the Arts ... including the art of fly tying.

And no ... just like this one, I like the scenery ... not the man-made parts of it. I said as much on some of those post.

I don't repeat myself on many of Terje's posts that include "town" or "house" detractors ...

I only got into this one because of the use of the word, "cairn". I used to use them all the time when I was living on the road. There's a whole "vocabulary" of them for wanderers.