Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Swap Series

I've had an idea for a series of swaps and wonder if you guys would be interested. What I'm thinking about is a series of swaps that all involve a certain type of fly. If you can tie one pattern of a certain type, tying others in that type isn't that much different. So what I'm thinking about is starting with a Nymph Swap. It has to be the standard type of Nymph such as the Pheasant Tail Nymph etc that has an abdomen, a thorax, ribbing, a shell case, and perhaps gills on the sides. The second fly in the series would be a soft hackle, the third would be a wet fly. From there we could go to bead head, classic dry fly, parachute, streamer, etc. This would NOT be a swap club. Each swap would be a stand alone, and you would have to sign up for each future swap if you wanted to continue. But it also means that you could take a turn off if you know you're going to be busy that month, or even drop out between swaps if you so choose. The due dates would give each tyer plenty of time to get their flies done. Now that we've just seen what the people in the Trout Invitational could do, it's time for the rest of us to work on our skills. So the challenge is going to be to tie up a set of 12 flies that are as near alike as possible. You might end up tying 18 or more, just to have 12 that are close. So this is a serious commitment to improve your skills. Your set will be photographed and posted on the forum for everyone to see, so you've got to work at it. And I may ask the Invitational Tyers to take a look at the pictures and give suggestions. Each swap is open to the first 12 tyers who ask to join. I'll try to give returning swappers a "heads up" so if you want to continue, you will know when to look for the next swap to be posted. All standard rules apply. SASE's & Toe Tags are required. The swap will be open to 13 tyers, and you will tie up 12 flies and not get back one of your own. You should have plenty from all your culls. The swap is open to anyone. The due date for the Nymph Swap will be December 15, which gives you just over two months. So sign up and get started tying.

BB

1. Breambuster - SM - Green Drake Nymph - Completed

2. Vicrider - Prince Nymph - Received

3. Pica - Hare's Ear Nymph - Received

4. PJ2 - Pheasant Tail Nymph - Received

5. Fishingbobnelson - Received

6. DavidR - Black Stonefly Nymph - Received

7. Wetsock - March Brown Nymph - Received

8. Branden_FritzeMeier_67 - Egans Iron Lotus

9. Add147 - Wire Stone Nymph - Received

10. Kennebec12 - Articulated Pheasant Tail - Received

11. Joseph Russell - TBD - Received

12. Riffleriversteelheadslayer - TBD

13. J-Kno - TBD

I'll have to get these done before I get swamped with Christmas activity. I'm hoping another 20 sign up for that yet. Anyway, since I've said my snowflakes are one of the things I have a problem with and the nice thing about hosting the swap is the swappers only see one fly at a time from me. So, I'd like in and my first attempt, which I've never done consistently, is the Prince nymph. I'll decide on size based on my hook selections left.

Nick

You're in, Pica, with a Hare's Ear Nymph. Thanks for joining us. I hope it's going to be a great experience for all.

Take care

BB

Slowest sign up process I've ever had for an open swap. Did I set the bar too high? I didn't mean to scare everyone off. We can make the evaluations, if we even do that, by PM so they will be private if that helps. Somebody talk to me. What's up with this ? Why are people so reluctant to join? I can make adjustments.

Thanks

BB

reading the description "skill builder" this just feels more suited to beginners than experienced tyers which is perfectly OK

reading the description "skill builder" this just feels more suited to beginners than experienced tyers which is perfectly OK

That was my feeling too. Which I think is a good idea, but if you want an old timer; I'm in.

Actually, flytire, it's for all skill levels. We can all learn things to help us improve. The only guy who won't improve is the guy who thinks his flies are "good enough."

BB

DavidR, glad you are willing to play! You are more than welcome with a little black stonefly nymph. Glad to have another guy aboard who wants to improve as a fly tyer.

BB