Fly Tying
Tim Shovel

Least favorite fish to catch

In saltwater it's clearly a toadfish. Don't think there is a freshwater one for me. Maybe an eel.

Every now and then I hook a Fall Fish when fishing for trout. It doesn't really bother me most of the time but there was one day when I was sitting and watching a couple trout feed and I laid in a perfect cast and as soon as the fly hit the water a little tiny fall fish came up and grabbed the fly just barely beating the trout to the fly and obviously once the fall fish was hooked the trout were gone.

Other than that I am fine with catching most any fish.

in the salt it's definitely a common catfish. They are poisonous so if they fin you it swells up like a balloon, they usually swallow the hooky, and the slime your leader all up. Luckily, they are bottom feeders that rely on scent so they don't really hit artificials and flies as much. Of course, on days when I'm not catching anything, I am glad to have a catfish hit

AGN54 There are only 2 species of saltwater catfish in the world. Both live in Florida. One, the hardhead catfish, is a bottom feeder, and not good to eat. The other, the sailcat (Gaff topsail catfish) is an active carnivore, and often caught on pinfish. They are slimy and disgusting to handle but they're good to eat. In south Texas and La. they sell fillets in stores and some restaurants.

All catfish have spiny topfins and pectorals, and you can get spined easily taking one off your hook. I did some research using black bullheads, and got to where I could reach in the water and pick them up easily... never got spined once.

BCT,

I caught one that was probably 16 inches on a small dry ( sz 18 light cahill if memory serves) and 6x tippet that was a real challenge to bring to the net it was a real long thrash battle in skinny shallow water. My phone is kaput so I don't have a picture or I would share it now (I may have shared it previously on in fish pictures, I know I snapped one). I really don't mind catching the big ones but those little ones I really don't like especially when they mess up sight casting to a couple nice rainbow trout. Also the little ones are so aggressive they can really be a problem.

I have heard a few times that cold water fall fish are pretty good eating. When the water is above the high 60's they are mushy and the flavor is no good but when its cool they are as good as most stocked rainbows that have been in the river for at least a year.

Mudfish, grinnel, dogfish, bowfin, whatever you wanna call it! I hate em! In fact I caught one today one a big love shiner while bass fishing. They mess up flies, bite fingers, and destroy rods.

Head or thought they were 'bony' too???? Can't say from experience as I have not tried to eat one.

If you start to fillet them before you kill them, Mudfish are pretty good. If you kill them and put them on ice the meat turns to mush.

In fresh water its boot strap (under 1lb) eels. Hate unhooking them.

Salt water its weaver fish. Poisonous spines so when fishing in the dark you have to be real careful before grabbing anything

there is none, anything caught on a fly I tie is welcome. I love fishing large fallfish and chubs here. they grow large and fight just as good as most trout. anything in the salt will do, cow nose rays on the fly are a blast