Fly Tying
Freddo

Shipping Flies?

Hi All,

A buddy not near to me physically is a trapper. He sent me some fur pieces and some feathers from a grouse he harvested. He's getting into fly fishing so I want to send him a bunch of flies I tied for him. What's the best way to get the flies shipped in the mail without them taking a punishment they don't deserve until they're eaten by the "intended" targets?

I'm sure some of you have shipped flied around. And BTW, there are woolly buggers, nymphs, elk hair caddis, etc. (a little of each).

Thanks in advance!

Put the flies in Altoid tins then use a shipping envelope or a priority box.You could also use fly boxes if you have a large amount to ship.

bunch of lies I tied for him.

Lol if hes getting into fishing hell be tying up his own lies pretty quickly lmao sorry couldn't resist but yes altoid tin is perfect

The Altoids thing works well, but if you are sending a thank you gift, just get a fly box and fill it with the appropriate type flies for the style of fishing he will be doing. Allen sells nice boxes for fairly cheap and they are good quality. If you plan on sending a crap load of lies, then fill a Plano box. Those cost a few bucks and hold a lot more flies than an Altoids tin.

Thanks all - I'll go with the Altoids tin; got a few laying around!

@josephcsylvia - Nice catch and that was not a Freudian slip (well maybe not). So much for my proof-reading! The guy is actually a stand up friend. If he got skunked I'd hear about it. Not sure what kind of fisherman the man is but as a trapper, I'd hate to have fur where this guy sets traps!

Hope you all have "your" boxes full as the opening day is coming up and warmer weather too (at least here up north). Personally, I like fishing when the fair weather guys stay inside. Actually, I like fishing every chance I get. This isn't a dig at the guys that only fish in fair weather, but I suppose what I really enjoy is the solitude, the river, the fish, the flies, the natural things around me, the gear, and the thought of getting back out there again soon! This fly fishing stuff is fine by me!

For about 6 bucks, you can get a small Plano box from Walmart, too. A little larger than a Altoids box and compartmented.

heavynets,

That container that you are showing, what department is it a WalMart?

Mine are double packed for shipping. Postage here in the UK is rather strange. Based on size as well as weight. It costs 50% more to send 1 sheet of A4 paper flat than it does if folded in half. These size restrictions mean I choose my outer packaging carefully, to conform with the sizes. I use PIP (Price In Proportion) boxes that would hold a DVD in its cover.

Inside I put the flies into small Ziplok bags, Flies like nymphs that can stand the crushing are easy, just pop them in. Dry flies present a problem, you don't want the hackles crushed. For ages I played around making card inserts to stop the bag crushing them. Then one day the answer occurred to me. It was so obvious when I saw it. Blow the bag up like a balloon and seal it. Usually I do this by pushing the bottom of the bag up. Drop the flies in and seal it. Then the bag will not collapse onto your dry flies.

Then all you have to do here is take out a second mortgage on your home to be able to afford the postage!

Having given the serious answer I have got to ask to see the fur from a grouse!

Cheers,

C.

different sizes flies require different sized containers

you simply cannot mail out 1 dozen deer hair bass flies in an altoids tin

small flies

altoids tin type boxes

box%201_zps1kxcn7vn.jpg

cardboard jewelry boxes

dark-green-jewelry-boxes_969_large.jpg

larger flies craft bead containers

panfish, larger dry flies streamers etc

box%203_zps53szl2ed.jpg

the big flies vhs tape box

bass pike saltwater etc

box%205_zpsqsgcr4io.jpg

send the boxes in an appropriate size bubble pack envelope

8.5-x-12-Bubble-Wrap-Heat-Seal-Mailer-En

heavynets,

That container that you are showing, what department is it a WalMart?

It's in the craft area.

Postage here in the UK is rather strange. Based on size as well as weight.

Hardly strange.

If you send more than one Altoid box or plastic boxes, make sure they are padded as the USPS gets nervous about things that rattle and clank. I have had clerks shake the box to check on this. Either way, your friend will be glad to get them. You might enclose a check for about $500 so he can get started fly fishing and fly tying.

I was at the dollar store and found zippered, neoprene sunglass cases. I used those for flies that are too long for an altoid case.

HI All,

Thanks so much for all your ideas - I appreciate them all. I can't send my friend $500 for gear, I need it for a saltwater setup I would like one day; darn fishing show in Somerset NJ set me down that road. Listen to me blaming a fly fishing show! Maybe it's this forum's fault. Maybe, just maybe, we are all just blessed to be out there doing what we love and want MORE!

The round container that "heavynets" posted an image of I see at Dollar Tree for $1 each. I have one and took the day abbreviations off with denatured alcohol.

The flies shipped out today in a small Altoids tin. It was perfect and I wrapped that in bubble wrap. There were only two elk hair caddis dry flies so I hope they'll be OK. I don't plan to ship flies all the time but this thread is a keeper.

AGAIN! THANKS to all of you!