Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

I is me

I've been a member for a long time but haven't posted much and never did introduce myself.

I'm Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh of Montana Riverboats https://montana-riverboats.com

Now retired. Former software engineer, building contractor, boat builder and fishing guide. Montana Rubber Boats is just a hobby. It's not a real business.

I'm also a fly tier. 99% of the time (or more) I make posts about odd-ball flies I've been working on.

I'm posting this introduction now because I occasionally (not very often) also post links to outside articles about controversial environmental issues with unfortunate culture war side associations, like the recent New York Times article about a world-wide decline in insect populations. That article basically said "insects are declining rapidly but no one knows why. Loss of habitat, pesticides and global warming are possible causes."

I posted that link on the Classic Flyrod Forum a week ago and all hell broke out. Holy cow. It's an interesting piece of writing. Everyone is free to interpret it however they want. That thread ended up "locked" over there I decided to take a powder from that forum. The same thing happened to me 5 years ago at faol.

I do not post links like that often but I do occasionally. Construction workers like me do have a tendency to say what ever it is I'm thinking about without worrying about being politically correct.

What's it like here in this neck of the woods? Am I free to be me or should I take a powder now?

:=))

Hey Sandy.

I am surprised you're introducing yourself now. You're an established member.

I will answer your question.

If you post politically oriented material or links, more than likely, they'll raise hackles from some people. Once that happens, the thread will be locked or deleted. It's no direct "comment" or censorship of YOU ... but an attempt to keep the peace on the site.

Some of the mods might see an issue earlier than others, and a thread gets locked before it seems to get "angry". Please remember (to all) that we sometimes get PMs about threads, comments and people.

Don't take it personal if your thread gets locked or deleted ... we're just fending off an argument.

I'm on a few forums and have to say I enjoy being able to come here and it's all relatively civil. Some posts elsewhere can become quite funny but at the same time they can just create bad feeling and its testiment to the mods (Steve really) that FTF has stayed like it is so long.

I'm on a few other forums also, same avatar, different user names. This is the most civil of all of them. One of the reasons I recommended it to my niece to sign up on once she gets serious about tying flies. A couple of those have forums within the main forum for controversial/political discussions and they do get very ugly. It's very hard to have a structured or civil conversation in those forums. Obviously, there are topics related to our sport that fall into the controversial/political realm. If we keep the conversations civil, non personal, listen to them with mindfulness and respect the other participants point of view, we might learn something about ourselves and others. Be honest, this board is my safe haven, where I can discuss fly fishing and fly tying and not worry about falling into the temptation of a political forum. My kudos to the admin folks for keeping this forum that way.

Hot button topics on a one dimensional speaking forum makes people hateful towards others they don't even know. I've learned through other boards that hot button issues and the passionate speaking of these issues only serve to pigeon hole members and break up the members into little cliques. I like the total lack of political, environmental, religious and agenda serving comments. We all like fly tying and fly fishing so why muddy the essence of the site.

I strongly agree with Poopdeck, it is very easy for people to get passionate and post things they would never say face to face. This site is my primary on line social experience, and I truly enjoy the lack of politics and agendas. I am on other sites and post less than I do on this forum (under 400 posts in 9 years) mainly due to the ego's and politics.