Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

background question

collage.jpg

which do you prefer - top, middle or bottom. i like all 3 for certain flies to give contrast or detail

i wish i knew how to do a black background. any tips are welcome

i prefer plain backgrounds versus cluttered desktops or palm of hand. sorry

however i do use other backgrounds but not that often

I think the blue provides the best contrast of those three colors. Tan would be my second choice.

A complementary color will provide a good contrast. I find that my colors will be shifted some by using dark colors as a solid background. The blue looks good, but the fly body is a different color than in the second picture, and even the gray background shifts the body color, but not as much.. Only you can know which is the most accurate. Using a black background will require more lighting.

With my point and shoot (Canon A620,) I get a much slower shutter speed if I use darker backgrounds. Since I hand hold my camera, I need a fast shutter speed to get a good image. The depth of field also changes with darker backgrounds.

I personally like the orange background better than the others, with gray as a second choice.

Of the three, I like the middle one better as I think it shows the body of the fly better. However, I don't take pictures so my view may not be of any help.

For the large majority of flies the blue back ground is my choice, however for this particular fly the tan seems to show more detail. It is probably what utyer said "complimentary color"; I know zip about color or photography- just know what is easy to look at.

Using a black background will require more lighting.

but where do you place the light as to not reflect on a black background?

My question is why do you need more light? Isn't the focus/exposure set for the fly? I thought the background was meant to neutral or light absorbing?

Like I said, I don't know, so my questions are geared toward me learning to take even basic pictures of flies.

I love the blue background ... it doesn't go with the fly, but it's BLUE.

The middle picture, with the tan background defines the fly better. Nothing on the fly is "hidden" in the background like the blue and gray ... which blends with the tail material a bit.

If I remember correctly, black backgrounds need to be farther away from the fly, or be of a material like velvet. Either option will prevent light reflections turning the black to gray.

For painting, I set my lamps above my desk so they are at about a 35 degree angle from the subject. For flies, I move them to the sides at the same angle.

i wasnt adding more lights but asking where they should be positioned

heres one attempt with a black background

black.jpg

i use black scrapbooking paper buy it tends to be refective of light. i need to go to walmart so i'll look to find a sheet of black felt used for crafting

thanks for the responses so far and for any future ones

I'm not seeing any reflection. Hate the blue, not crazy about the tan and the gray is okay. I like the black.