Fly Tying
TIER

Pike n' Burbot

I am very new at pike fishing. I want to know all about it. I have heard that mouse patterns work well. My dad tells me I should use a dare devil, I have a big 5 inch jig, and a 4 inch hoochie. I am going to sportsman's warehouse, And I have about 50$ to spend there. What should I get? And I have no clue about Burbot.

A daredevil spoon is definitely NOT a fly. Are you asking whether you should buy flies for pike ... or lures for pike?

These are my guesses ...

Feather streamers in Fire Tiger colors are what I see people tying for pike. Bright colors that mimic local prey (i.e. perch, bluegill, shad, shiners, trout, etc.) fished near the surface.

Burbot looks like a cross between a catfish and an eel. Ugly fish. They look like bottom feeders. But, they also look like they take prey. Predatory like large catfish Pike flies allowed to drop to the bottom should work.

Mike, I am thinking of lures. I am already done shopping. Plz help with the retrieves and stuff like that.

I can't help much there.

All I know about pike is that they're built to chase.

Burbot, I know nothing about.

go fishing with your dad . he'll show you what to do

He doesn't fly fish.

He doesn't fly fish.

Based on your earlier posts it looks like you're planning on using standard tackle.

I've been going to a lake in Northern Ontario for 30 years now. I not sure any of us ever caught a pike on spoon, I don't remember catching one. Could of been the time of the year, most years we've gone in late July/early August. Two years we went up in mid-may just after ice out which is the time for big pike on that particularly lake. No luck with lures. But they liked minnows and large suckers. The rest of the trips we caught them on floating or diving minnow lures, 3 to 7 inches long. Fire tiger was always a good color, black or blue over silver also worked. Top water, hula poppers, jitterbugs, prop baits, like the tiny torpedo. Even a couple on spinner baits. As I said it was not the time of the year for big pike. My best on a lure was a 30 inch one caught on 3 inch Yozuri diver in a mackerel pattern. Best on a fly rod was 28 inches. I caught them on some weird flies but the biggest ones took a 6 inch white/pearl streamer. We've caught one burbot . We went up one year early in September and were fishing jigs and night crawlers in about 50 feet of water and pulled up a decent size one. Had no clue what it was. Took it back to the lodge, left it on the cleaning table with a pair of old wrap around sunglasses covering its eyes and a cigarette butt in it's mouth. With a note saying "I don't know what I am, if I'm good to eat clean me" Next night, the owner presented the fish, which had been smoked, to us at dinner. Very, very tasty.

Took it back to the lodge, left it on the cleaning table with a pair of old wrap around sunglasses covering its eyes and a cigarette butt in it's mouth.

It would be a funny story if it wasn't for the fact that you killed a fish without any intention of using it.

Fortunately, someone else put it to use.

He doesn't fly fish.

so what! go fishing with him anyway regardless if he doesnt fly fish

We

Took it back to the lodge, left it on the cleaning table with a pair of old wrap around sunglasses covering its eyes and a cigarette butt in it's mouth.

It would be a funny story if it wasn't for the fact that you killed a fish without any intention of using it.

Fortunately, someone else put it to use.

We could have tossed it back for the seagulls, Mike. It's swim bladder was sticking out of it's mouth. Didn't know the trick on how to deflate one and release the fish at that time(1986). All fish that you were going to keep and eat were left on the cleaning table. The dock crew told us what we caught and suggested smoking it would be an excellent way to eat it. It it hadn't been "edible", it would have been used either as food for the lodge's dogs or as bait for the minnow and crayfish traps the lodge set out. Certainly not wasted.

Burbot good eating, ugly, and not really fun to catch. You basically skin them when you clean them. Actually only caught them ice fishing. A mouse or a surface popper would work good for the pike in shallower water. There was a good discussion on appropriate leaders not long ago I believe

Cusk are GREAT eating.. we pull them one ice fishing trips and make chowder for the next day... then fish all day, hit cusk at night and do it all over again.

Cusk (Burbot) are easiest at night, something laying dead on the bottom should work. We get them deep on bottom durring the day sometimes, more shallow at night. No clue how this would go with a fly.