Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Moderators: lurker needs help registering

here is the message i received on another forum

Hi!

I'm a lurker over at Flytyingforum.com (I really love your flies btw) and recognized your avatar from here...I just found this forum.

I don't know if you'll know this but I'm wondering why/if the flytyingforum.com isn't accepting new members?

I've been trying forever to start a membership over there but I always get an error message (I've tried different browsers and a bunch of other stuff too)....I've emailed the admin a bunch of times and have never heard back.

Just wondering if you happen to know anything about that?

thanks

...and thanks for all the amazing inspirational flies!

Michael

maybe you have seen his attempt at registering on your end

any help is appreciated

If you wish to reply to that person, please tell them we are responding to a recent spam attack. We had "new members" signing on quicker than we could keep up, and posting long advertisements for Russian brides, drugs, you name it.

Steve (or Steve and Will) shut down new member acceptance for a while, trying to divert that spammer's attention to easier targets.

thats probably why this site has gone into its sloooowwww down mode

ill let him know whats going on

SPEAKING OF SPAM THEY HAVE BEEN CALLING OUR HOUSE 6 TIMES A DAY! SHEESH!

I have a couple of friends who are great tiers and love swaps from another board wanting in. They are in Christmas swap since I could enter their names without them registering but hope ban is lifted soon to let them in. We need some fresh swappers and ideas on here from time to time.

TIER, the answer to that is Caller ID. Don't know the number don't answer anymore. If it's a call I should take they can leave a message and I'll get back.

another request from the same lurker

Hello again,

Sorry to bug you about this again but I don't have any other way of contacting anyone at flytyingforum.com
Would you mind doing me a favor and asking again about the timeline for opening membership back up?
It seems like they've been shut since July at this point and I'm just wondering if they have any idea when their spam issue might be dealt with.
Thanks so much for helping me out...I really appreciate it.
Michael 'TooHunny'

can a moderator help this guy? do you want new members or what

I spoke to Will. From the sounds of it the spam problem is some issue with the software/site registration itself so if we turn the registration back on the spam problem would be right back to the issues we had when we shut it off. So Will may need to upgrade the spam software for the site which + money, and with Christmas only a few weeks away and Will paying for the site out of his pocket I'm not going to ask him to do that. After the holidays I'll talk with him and see what the site needs and maybe I'll sell a rod with the proceeds going to Will for a site upgrade then.

I would gladly contribute to the cause. Is there any where we can send a donation, preferably through Venmo or any other method?

That's much appreciate Greg, and shows your good character. But since we started this site almost 20 yrs ago we have never asked for anything free, and never will. Give me a bit, and I'll let you guys know whats up. Like I said I most likely will do some sort of rod sale/site upgrade thing. That way there's something people get in exchange for helping. I called Will tonight to discuss but he was actually boarding a flight for work so once I talk to him after the holidays we'll work it all out and get things set.

Do appreciate the offer though for sure.