Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Rain Gear

What rain gear do you like and why? I am preparing to buy new rain gear for my son and myself. He fishes competitively for his local school and year around so it needs to be dry and warm. The are in which we live, Kentucky, gets some very cold and wet weather. We have used Huk, top level Frogg Toggs, Bass Pro, and others and have not managed to stay dry and warm. Im considering Simms at the moment but wanted to hear from yall. Thanks

I have two sets of rain gear. My favorite are the Frogg Toggs. Here in Florida, the light weight and breathable nature make them very desirable over anything else I've had on. They do need to be treated with a water repellent to keep you totally dry.

If cold weather is expected, I have my fiberbacked vinyl rainsuit. I bought it in Texas ... maybe 2002 or so. It's still proving to be weather proof. Since it's so heavy duty, wind doesn't cut through it. In cool to cold weather, it not only keeps me dry, but with a light jacket, it keeps me warm. I'm sorry, I don't remember the brand. I bought it at a marine/fishing store in the Dallas area.

Looking online, it looks like this "Navis Marine Workgear"

https://www.amazon.com/Navis-Marine-Workwear-Waterproof-XXX-Large/dp/B07HN5RNR7/ref=asc_df_B07HN5RNR7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241990509333&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15156847781779636059&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030078&hvtargid=pla-603695317391&psc=1

I have never had complaints with berghaus and patagonia gear. For fishing I tend to use ex military gortex gear. Slightly larger to layer below. Always a good price and works.

Dan I have a Browning rain jacket I got at Cabelas about 10 yrs ago that didn't cost a ton (was about $80 back then) and it's been worth its weight in gold for me. Spent many a day in heavy rain/snow and always kept me bone dry.

I go the system route. I have your common light weight Columbia rain jacket and pants that you can buy anywhere for 35 bucks. If it's cold out I wear a fleece under it. If it's really cold out I'll throw on some thinsulate under a flannel shirt with the fleece and rain jacket. If it's colder yet I stay home. If it's raining I stay home. The systems work way better then trying to find something to cover a wide spectrum or worse yet, buying three or four sets of rain gear depending on air temperature. Ill never be awarded style points but I'm always warm, dry and not sweaty, cold or clammy.

I'm with poopdeck it's all about layering, I don't think there are any breathable rain jackets that are 100% water proof I have multiple 3l gortex jackets my snowboarding jacket is a nearly 500$ northface shell and I still get a bit damp if it's wet after a few hours in areas my backpack straps are.

Was winter steelheading once in a continual all day pour. Had on a Browning Hells Canyon packable rain jacket. Absolutely soaked almost to the point of hypothermia. I don't think anything would have worked under those conditions except sit in the bar all day. Use it only as a wind shirt now.

For boat wear I now use my simms breathable bibb waders ( also have a pair of Reddington pants waders ), old wading boots. and a Simms G3 wading Jacket. It works but I have yet to be in the conditions as above. A friend who just moved from Vancouver Island to Arizona recently gave me his offshore sailing rainsuit. Gortex and litely insulated. Very impressed but looks pricey. Can't hardly wait to try it in the boat but sure works great at football games.

You may want to check out this offshore sailing rainwear. I think it has merrit.

MROomQ.jpg

This is the Browning one I have that I was talking about earlier. I looked at the tag to see if it had a "name" but it doesn't. Just has the browning name on the front is all so not sure what model mine is. It's the only Browning article of clothing I own but I can tell you one thing for sure, it is by far the best rain jacket I have ever owned. I've been out in some complete downpours with it and never have a bit of dampness what so ever. Just tighten up the velcro straps on the wrists and the velcro that covers the zipper and you're golden. I've had some Orvis & Simms ones in the past that cost 2-3 times what this one did and yet were still not as good as this one. Had it 10 yrs and will hopefully have it till I can no longer fish.

I picked up a Helly Hansen second hand. Hadn't heard of it before. Looks like they have them at Walmart... Can be out all day in the rain, no problem. Sealed zippers even.

I really like the Cabelas brand permeable membrane packable jacket/parka, and not just for fishing. I think the matrerial is call Dry Plus or something like that. Works as well as Gortex but without the designer price. I have picked up a couple over the years when they where on sale for $40 ish. Unfortunately since I did not see it last time I looked online I expect that the line has been discontinued by Basspro along with so much other stuff, but who knows.

Swamp

I'm not knocking Browning. Over the years I have paid for their employees retirement fund, everything from bows to rifles to clothing. The rain jacket I have is not at all like yours Steve, its way lighter - basically a thin layer of gortex that stows in about a 4 x 4 x 8 inch bag. Worked on many occasions prior, just not in that monsoon. Hopefully no offence taken

Doug