Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly net

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

I think Ill order the SF magnet net release. It is $12 shipped.

#32 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

Perfect. Then you can throw it in the corner and never take it out, like mine.

#33 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

Poop why dont you use urs?

#34 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

I like to carry as little as possible. Where others look to find ways to carry more, I am constantly searching for ways to carry less. i also fish from a boat a good 80% of the time so when I am wading it's because I enjoy the simplicity of just me, a rod and what I can carry in a small pack or my pockets. I learned a long time ago that carrying 500 flies and every contraption out there does not help you catch a single fish more.

#35 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:53 PM

I think it's all personal preference as to what is considered "needed" on the water. With that said IMO a net with a good magnetic release is a staple to my being on the water. Not only does a net help you land a fish quicker stressing it less, but makes pics of the fish easier (again less stress) and a good magnetic release makes carrying and using it simple. In the past 3 yrs I have done like said above and stopped carrying a ton of stuff, normally only take 1-2 fly boxes with me rather than the 4-5 I use too. And even switched the a chest pack and haven't used my vest in about 3 yrs (except for steelheading) but no matter what I take with me a net clipped on my mag-release is a staple for me.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#36 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

One thing I feel is a got to have is a good quality pair of polarized sunglasses. On/in my vest I have a few items box of flies, some tippets, strike indicators, nippers, gink, and hemostat. (So will soon be adding a net with magnet.) This is all I want to take with me 

#37 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

For a good quick net release these are good. Not sure if they are on sale in US yet but I'd imagine they are.
NEW MAGLOC MAGNETIC DOG LEAD CONNECTOR CLIP QUICK RELEASE UP TO 40KG DRAGONS DEN (BLUE) https://www.amazon.c...i_MNMODb5RYNE01
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#38 WJG

WJG

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

I use a magnetic release at the loop on my back, but I hook my net with the handle down.  (Zip tie the detached magnet part to the net's hoop)  Take the supplied shock cord from the handle to a point low on your vest/pack, same side as your net hand.  This acts as a safety and allows you to drop the net without it floating away.  Also does not have the net rocketing at your head if you unknowingly snag it on branches while bushwacking. 

#39 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

Also does not have the net rocketing at your head if you unknowingly snag it on branches while bushwacking.

laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png Yep agreed. I learned that the hard way. Got blasted right in the middle of the back by my own net one time lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#40 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:27 AM

I bet that felt good lol

#41 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

There is a possibility to break off with a magnet on the hoop is why I rigged to handle. The singled out stretch cord keeps from loosing net not strong enough to spring back. If mine hangs itll break if I dont stop...
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A