Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Substitute for jungle cock eyes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 strutnstuff

strutnstuff

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

Do to the cost I am looking for substitute jungle cock eyes. I thought I could use ringneck feathers or possibly imitation jungle cock eyes. Imitation looks good but not sure what they are made of or how they will hold up

#2 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Here's some naturals for sale, but if you want to try some substitutes I'll mail you some of the ones I've got, just pm me

http://waterswest.co...products_id=617
cb27

#3 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:33 AM

Honestly there is no substitute. I wouldn't spend the money either , for years trying this and that and the fakes too. Never satisfied I tied my flies without cock eyes. Then for my birthday my wife drove up to Bears Den and bought me a cape. The less expensive one she bought she said looked better than some of the more costly ones there. But now my Gray Ghosts and Green Ghosts have eyes LOL ! And if I lose this cape or use it up or it gets ruined somehow I will just go buy another one, period.

I will say this: if you go with the fakes then put a drop of ca glue on it before you tie it in.

And by the way, the fish don't care they say but I caught the nicest salmon I've caught in a long time on a tube fly gray ghost tied with the cock eyes on it from the cape my wife bought me. It's just part of the pattern that works, has the right coloring and texture. Receiving that cape for my birthday last year was one of the most thrilling presents I can ever remember getting. It was at that moment upon receiving the cape I realized how silly it was of me to not have bought one long ago but also how thoughtful my wife can be, that's a 40 mile drive each way to go pick out a cape (yes she knows what to look for though too, she did well, just a few splits in the mix that a little varnish on the back side fixes right up.).. I'll be 68 in April , there might be enough feathers there to make it to the end. I only use them on gray and Green Ghosts but both my wife and I fish those flies so I'm always tying a double batch. I know where to get more !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

plain and simple there is no substitute for the real thing

however if you absolutely need a substitute try guinea fowl

CUEHBxo.jpg

starling feathers are another choice

Starling_Skins.jpg

paint your own http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=21739

921673565bcfdcb4a17e91162ca50542--fishin

The fish care less than we do!

#5 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

Dave G, you married a good woman.

#6 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

https://www.google.c...115.tbH62j7zS90

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#7 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

Dave G, you married a good woman.

Thank you, yes she is different in some ways from the general cut of womanhood. And very much the same in other ways.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#8 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

I had the same issues years ago when I bought some JC capes.The best trick I learned was:Buy a low quality cape(they are a lot cheaper).Most of the feathers are going to be split.Put a drop of head cement(Not super glue) on the feathers and run it through your fingers following the natural curve.This will fix the splits and give you great looking feathers at an extremely good price!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#9 arrowsmith

arrowsmith

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

Another vote for starling skins. I used to see them for sale from fly tying suppliers, but that was some time ago. Archers use blunt tiped arrows, and the song birds thank them.

#10 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

I just just got a great deal on eBay, buying ten or so JC capes and a ton of other materials for $70.

#11 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

🤤
cb27

#12 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

Came today, some were just the top half, but there are some good ones. Attached File  1746693D-DA8C-4C0A-BE17-C9B899C13B2F.jpeg   133.17KB   2 downloads

#13 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

Bingo
cb27

#14 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

I just just got a great deal on eBay, buying ten or so JC capes and a ton of other materials for $70.

quality?

theres a bunch of these for $4.70

s-l225.jpg

The fish care less than we do!

#15 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

Unless you are tying for show or competition you can repair most split nails with head cement. This site in England has full capes at about $40.00. I have been very satisfied whit the capes I have purchased from them. They have lots of other feathers too.

http://www.lathkill....D=732&offset=16

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob