Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Any saltwater anglers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ct.custom

ct.custom

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:51 PM

Hey everyone! share your favorite streamers to tie!!!

Attached Files

#2 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

I do fish "salt water."  In the IRL and Mosquito Lagoons.  Never going beyond the beach in a kayak, but I find plenty of fish inshore.  Some of the "salt water" fish if catch come from the Impound ponds and canals along the Indian River Lagoon.  If I can't fly fish for em, I don't fish for em at all.  Some of my patterns are below.  If you look further down the page, you will see there is a whole topic area devoted to salt water

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

I dabble in it a bit.  Mostly fish the inlets and jetties of South Jersey.   Here's my favorite streamer based on Bob Pop's Semper Fleye.

Attached File  P3270171.JPG   67.1KB   0 downloads

Another streamer, it suppose to imitate a finger mullet

Attached File  P9270309.JPG   37.79KB   0 downloads

A couple of bait fish patterns.  Narrow body one for bay anchovies and silversides.  Wide body or peanut bunker.

Attached File  P9140283 (2).JPG   33.59KB   0 downloads

Some Crease flies.

Attached File  PC240098.JPG   76.96KB   0 downloads

A couple of poppers

Attached File  P1150116.JPG   63.56KB   0 downloads

I also use the same flies in fresh water for bass, pike, chain pickerel 

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 wademan

wademan

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 03:19 PM

Hello,

All really good looking tyes.  At present I am working on tying and fishing Flat Wing Flyes in colors and shades useable in Florida waters.  The Flat Wings were started in Rhode Island by Ken Abrames used for Stripers, Blues, Albies, and Bonitio.

So far I've just tested my tyes,  Tracking seems to be good and castability good.  Directions can be found on U Tube.

Happy Holiday to All.

Tight Lines and Fair Winds

wademan

#5 mikemac1

mikemac1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

This saltwater fly assortment will be auctioned off via online silent auction during the Madison-Gallatin Trout Unlimited Banquet in February 2019.  It is a good representation of the saltwater flies I tie and use on the Florida Gulf Coast for inshore species.

Saltwater%20Fly%20Selection%20MGTU%20Ban