Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

My First Tied Fly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CentralOregonFlyFisher

CentralOregonFlyFisher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

Size 18 zebra midge with an ice dub UV black collar. Got a touch heavy with the dubbing. Oh, well.

Attached Files

#2 GC59

GC59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

Very nice, that will catch fish. What is that bead and where did you get it?

#3 CentralOregonFlyFisher

CentralOregonFlyFisher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:23 AM

Very nice, that will catch fish. What is that bead and where did you get it?

It's a Hareline plummeting tungsten bead 3/32" in gold. Purchased it at a local fly shop along with the other materials.

#4 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:42 AM

Looks good to me!

#5 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:56 AM

It will work. Just try a single turn of dubbing, check it out before adding more. What I use on mine is one or two turns of peacock herl. Started doing that a few years ago, it's easy and effective, no need to look any further.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#6 CentralOregonFlyFisher

CentralOregonFlyFisher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

It will work. Just try a single turn of dubbing, check it out before adding more. What I use on mine is one or two turns of peacock herl. Started doing that a few years ago, it's easy and effective, no need to look any further.

Thanks for the input. That's a good idea and something I will certainly try.

#7 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

For higher in the water column also try ostrich herl and a silver lined clear glass bead
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#8 CentralOregonFlyFisher

CentralOregonFlyFisher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

For higher in the water column also try ostrich herl and a silver lined clear glass bead

Will do. Thank you.