Fly Tying
Bruce Derington

Cohen's Bird Variation

A few days ago there was a deer hair bird flytier posted. I thought he got it from our fly pattern data base and it looked like something I tied, It was not, so moving forward, here are some that I did tie, and they fish fine. I use them in some small lakes , here in Michigan, primarily for Bass, and use either a 7 or 8 weight for most. Pat Cohen was very active on this forum, and I have met him and simply love his work. Its hard to believe that Pat is a relative newbie, maybe 10 years or so, a pure natural.Man can that guy tie. I have tied many of his patterns, Punk Rocker , SF Mouse, and Big Ben, I will always give him credit, and look forward to seeing what else he comes up with. For your amusement

2j3nqtt.jpg

Nice ties Bruce!

There is another tirer on here and I wont call him out but we spoke on the phone hes only been tying for about seven years.

Ive been tying for 50+ years and have been spinning deer hair for 25+ years and I cant do what he does or Pat and a few others.

Pisses me off!

I know if I could sit down with anyone of these guys for just an hour I could figure out what theyre doing that I cant seem to figure out.

Bruce you've still got it man!

Excellent "hair bug" Bruce. The heads are articulated?

and this one

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=76026 & http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=81803&page=2&do=findComment&comment=635353

flyguy638 and TheCream also did pretty good work on that pattern

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern13815.html

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=78234

For my style I'd prefer this duck posted by Pelhament; http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=43051&do=findComment&comment=357193

and tied by wiggleminnow http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern4552.htmll

That bird post the other day sent me on a site search.

This is the prototype?

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=53213

Nice ties Bruce!

There is another tirer on here and I won’t call him out but we spoke on the phone he’s only been trying seven years.

I’ve been tying for 50+ years and have been spinning deer hair for 25+ years and I can’t do what he does or Pat and a couple others.

Pisses me off!

I know if I can sit down with anyone and these guys for just an hour I could figure out what they’re doing that I can’t do.

I bet it's because you are SPINNING (as you mention in your post) when you need to be STACKING deer hair. Stacking comes out WAY more dense than spinning. That and having the right deer hair to start out with makes a big difference too. Having the right hair packer tool helps too. The "FUGLEY" packer is a LARGE tool that the better deer hair guys use. You can get them at Pat's web site. Go to YOU TUBE and check out a couple videos on STACKING bro. You won't be sorry. To add to this, a Pink baby bird is a killer bait around cat tails where I'm from. (Kansas) Imitates a Redwing black bird baby that has fallen from the nest. Especially when fished around an actual nest. But it might need to be tied a little smaller than the ones above. When the babies are fledging that one would get eaten. NO DOUBT!

Mike W...i always look forward to seeing anything you ty especially hair bugs..lots of imagination..just keep doing what your doing..i sure don,t see any problems..no one makes perfect flies..i should know..lol.

That's pretty neat that Pat Cohen used to be active here. I know he is just another guy, but he is like a celebrity in the tying world. His fly is sweet, but you can see he has gotten much better since then even. Your tie is also very impressive!

SILKHDH

Like I said been tying 50+ years...I know all about stacking just didnt use the word.

Thank you for taking your time to reply though..much appreciated.

Ben Bell...thank you

OK this thread motivated me to tie a bird fly..Ill try to get it done fairly soon I have to work this weekend but Ill fit it in.

And then Ill have some kind of contest and give it away.. criteria will be..You have to fish it, post a pic of fish caught on it and not hang it at your desk...If you do that Ill tie another one for you to display on your desk if you want.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.

752_A76_F6_6016_490_E_B141_C908_FDA3_E6_

DCB27_BB2_3_ADC_41_F3_B427_909_B1_D3_CF0

6_F649571_3576_4489_9436_1_F2_FB1_C459_B

I do have a question about this pattern. I've always been curious how the wings, Mallard feathers, are attached to this fly?

Michael

Wings are glued in

SILKHDH

Like I said been tying 50+ years...I know all about stacking just didnt use the word.

Thank you for taking your time to reply though..much appreciated.

Ben Bell...thank you

OK this thread motivated me to tie a bird fly..Ill try to get it done fairly soon I have to work this weekend but Ill fit it in.

And then Ill have some kind of contest and give it away.. criteria will be..You have to fish it, post a pic of fish caught on it and not hang it at your desk...If you do that Ill tie another one for you to display on your desk if you want.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.

752_A76_F6_6016_490_E_B141_C908_FDA3_E6_

DCB27_BB2_3_ADC_41_F3_B427_909_B1_D3_CF0

6_F649571_3576_4489_9436_1_F2_FB1_C459_B

Years ago I read an article in fly fisherman magazine written by Tim England, now this guy could tie, think he used elk hair.That got me started. Guys like Dave Whitlock, Billy Munn, Jimmy Nix, of course Chris Helm have given me direction in working with deerhair and sitting down with these guys was a great opportunity ti pickup tips

Bruce,

I tied with everyone you just mentioned except Chris..numerous times and fished with them.

Tim England was a big influence in my tying...if you cant tell.

8_C2_A7916_8_F06_467_B_B52_E_CB38_B88_AC

24_B00087_782_D_4_E93_95_F7_DDE819_FEBAF

I do have a question about this pattern. I've always been curious how the wings, Mallard feathers, are attached to this fly?

Michael

Wings are glued in

Thank you Bruce. I do appreciate the help. I have tried a couple of glues and have not had much success to this point. May I ask what you are using and how you are applying it? Have you had trouble with the wings not staying on. Last question, do you have much of an issue with the fly spinning while casting?

Michael

If it has wings, it usually will spin..maybe try heavier leader..for bugs this big 20# leader is not out of the question