Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelprince

Steelhead nymphs

Reluctant to post these patterns with the names that I have donned (sp?) on them, because the idea of naming patterns is kinda controversial. Does taking one pattern and modifying it constitute a new pattern? Does changing materials to garner a differnet effect constitute a new pattern? What if changing the materials causes the fly to fish differently? I kinda subscribe to the old saying: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck---but if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and barks like a dog then it's a barking duck. I've applied the latter to naming these flies. Plus, modifying the names of the patterns helps to identify what I was using and for tying purposes. Here's the result (from left to right, top to bottom):

C3 john, fuzz'd john, and deer john's in black and olive

post-4459-1163628683_thumb.jpg

The cc: john is closer to the standard copper john, but with a rusty brown ice dub thorax, rubber legs and a copper bead head. copper head + copper thorax + copper abdomen = C3 john

The fuzz'd john has a wire body, with a sparse dubbed loop of black rabbit wrapped over skipping smalls sections so wire shows (segmentation), a turkey wingcase (no epoxy), and deer hair thorax. rabbit + deer = fuzz + deer (d) = fuzz'd john

The deer johns feature a deer hair wingcase and ice dub mixed with deer hair (40/60) for the thorax. deer hair wingcase + deer in thorax = deer john. Since deer hair as a wingcase is inherently a poor material choice (IMO) i slapped epoxy on them and the head.

At anyrate, sorry for the rant. I have tendencies. Oh, by deer hair I mean bucktail, the wire is not ultra wire but a really heavy painted (i think) craft wire and they are all tied on mustad 7970's (sz. 6). Think, lob into pocket water or deep drifting.

Naming flies to me is kinda weird. Heck, every single pattern you can think of today is just a variation on something. Zoo Cougar? Tweaked muddler. Clouser? Regular 'ol bucktail streamer with dumbbell eyes. Bob Clouser just so happened to get the marketing.

No one will ever convince me than any fly they conjure is completely original. It'll be a variation on something.

Here's my take...name it, but don't take yourself too seriously. Any name will work as lon as you kno what you are talking about...for example it is much easier to refer to a 'fuzz'd john' than 'hey, remember that fly I tied that tim for those fish'...

Hi Eugene,

Firstly may I say what absolutly super flies.Unfortunatly we don't have too much call for stoneflies on this side of the pond,thats not to say we don't use them from time to time.

There is however some renowned flyfisher/flytyer in England(Bob Church) and Ireland (Peter O'Reilly)that take Standard patterns such as MAYFLY and alter them to suit certain climatic conditions etc and rather than rename them the label them VARIANTS

Not sure if this is of any help and I ain't no expert but I thought this method of identifying altered Standards might be of help. :dunno:

Tight Lines.

Mike.S.