Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Rc Clodbuster project #2

Back last fall I got back into the RC hobby again with a project build on my first monster truck project that most of you probably remember. While I have not finished that one yet (will this summer) I decided to start another build so I started this build project back at the end of January. The reason I started this one was because the first truck is more of a scale build, something that I will enjoy but won't want to bash/damage because of the detail work in it. So I decided to do a 2nd truck build and build this one with the most durable hardcore bashing parts available on the market today. This one is going to be fast, light, and durable.

Made the chassis for this one myself out of carbon fiber plate. Upper 4-links I made out of solid aluminum rod drilled & tapped. Lower links are CNC'd pieces. Rather than buy used axles for this one I went ahead and located all the part numbers for all the axles pieces and build the axles myself from the ground up so they are all new. Has full bearing set in the axles, Thundertech CVD's in front and straight solid axle in rear. Went with a Dennis Anderson King Sling body and added the scoop to the front of the body. Put some new Jconcepts tires on some blacked out wheels. Electronics I'm installing are two Castle brushless 5700k sensored motors, two Castle Mamba-x ESC's, and a 3S 5400mah 90c 135a lipo battery.

These are some pics from the past few months. I finished the airbrush work on the body last month and will post a pic of that when I get time. This one should be done and running in the next week or two most likely.

DJPugS.jpg
TXFCCT.jpg
taQTT1.jpg
ChFur5.jpg
1mYKVn.jpg
QCPmGm.jpg
PLtoWx.jpg
sJ3V5f.jpg
PsTZ6V.jpg
ypf2B9.jpg

ohmy.png

You are just too busy ...

It just looks like ... stuff ... to me, at this point. But that transmission is interesting. Plastic gears will hold up under "abuse"?

Actually there is no transmission in this. Thats the axles gear case in the pic. These are called MOA (motor on axle) trucks. Its a bit more cost wise at first to build a MOA truck because you have to buy two motors since there's a motor on each axle, but in the long run it's better because the more moving parts (trans) you eliminate then there's less to go wrong.

Nylon gears are actually pretty strong. They don't make many metal gears for these RC trucks because the brushless motors these days spin at ungodly RPM's, the ones I have are 100,000 RPM so that would create numerous issues with metal gears spinning that fast. Plus you always want to have a link that is somewhat weaker/replaceable so that you don't destroy the motors which are about $100 a pop. You can get a new gear set for about $10 so it's a lot better to do yearly gear replacement than motor replacement.

Might not be "shiftable", but with two ... 3:1 gear ratios? ... it's definitely a "transmission".

I just equate everything to outboards and motorcycles.

Not too many plastic/nylon gears in those. Oil pump drives, for example.

All I can say is holy crap! Got all the electronics in it today and used the new Castle-link to hook up the ESC's to my PC so I could adjust all the settings on them. It was dark out so I just put it on the basement shop floor to just see what it had. Merely blipped the throttle and it jumped up in the air like a frog flipping over backwards in the air and landed 6ft away ohmy.png I believe I will wait till it's light outside to test it out and further. Way to dangerous to mess with inside lol

zJKXS0.jpg
ZpSZwu.jpg

Bumper/servo mount came today. Really like this bumper. Very nicely made and offers a really good protective spot for the servo with zero movement of the servo. I had noticed on my vertical mount it seemed to move slightly under the torque of the servo but this one is solid as a rock. Also swapped over some aluminum knuckles on the front end of the truck. I remember back in the day I use to end up with some cracks/splits in the front knuckles where the screwed went in so figure I want to beef up everything I can ahead of time on this one. It's really just about done other than a couple other minor things. Probably have some pictures of the entire truck all done and ready to go in a few days.

Sure looks like a "beast" of technology and metal. Does that thing turn into a killer robot when you're not driving it?

maxresdefault.jpg

laugh.png laugh.png That pic is great.

Yeah the technology in the RC hobby has really amazed me since getting back into it The the electronic speed controls these days amaze me the most. Back when I was in it last (17-18 yrs ago) there were things like electronic speed controls, but they were pretty basic ESC's without a lot of bells and whistle on them. These two that I have in this truck are almost like mini computers now. To get them working I connected them to my PC with this special Castle-link think which is basically a USB cable with a microchip on the end of it that plugs into the ESC. Once connected you can change/adjust everything, and I mean everything. Such as what percentage of power you want it to have, what percentage of "punch" you want it to have, you can change the torque curve so that it brings the max power on slower or at a certain RPM. You can adjust how much brake power you want, you can dial in drag brake, it even has data log on it, its just nuts the tech that is in these things these days.

Me thinks, "Once connected you can change/adjust everything, and I mean everything." might be famous last words.

You're in full control ... until you're NOT !!!

hqdefault.jpg

With everything that went on in my personal life the past few weeks I haven't posted the finished pics of the truck yet. Just trying to force myself to do things to try to get back to somewhat of a normal life again. So here's some pics of the finished truck, it's all done now. I airbrushed the body a nice metallic blue with a waving checkered flag paint scheme. The King Sling body is supposed to have the scoop on the rear of the real truck, but I didn't care for that so moved it to the hood and trimmed it to fit against the windshield. Added some LED red head & taillights as well.

I have yet to get it out and test out full power, but from just testing it after I programmed the dual ESC's I tested it in the backyard and it has just a ridiculous amount of power. Anything more than 1/4 throttle with any sort of traction and it stands right up and jumps off the ground. Going to try to get it out to somewhere that has some ample room this weekend and open it up to see what it will do. Will try to get some action pics or vid of it when I can.

CrlaOm.jpg
7paIO4.jpg
rSmheX.jpg
3ddILP.jpg
rL01Di.jpg
ng84u3.jpg
cSGYQA.jpg
pPK00t.jpg
PBUhhH.jpg
IFxVHS.jpg
VRaioQ.jpg
KCg2uV.jpg