Fly Tying
DFoster

Opinions about multi fly set ups

I would love to hear everyone's opinions and preferences on fishing multi fly set ups- what is your preferred method to rig multiple flies? I have been going back and forth with various set ups for years.

My state allows two flies max. Here are the two methods I currently use.

1) Leave a 6" tag on the tippet to leader blood knot and tying the first fly onto the tag with the bottom fly 18" away on the end of the tippet. The upper fly swims more naturally but because the tag is short I usually can't change the upper fly without cutting a new piece of 24" tippet, tying a new blood knot and leaving a new 6" tag.

2) Running the lower tippet through the eye of the upper fly. The upper fly doesn't swim as well because it's turned 90 degrees to the tippet but it's easier to change if necessary.

I know a lot of people like tying the tippet to the hook bend but I have always struggled with that technique. I change flies fairly often so I'm hoping someone out there might have some advise.

In full disclosure I haven't tried tippet rings yet-

Thanks all,

Dean

here in Colorado we can fish 3 hooks (flies). Most of the time I tie bend to eye. For a nymph rig I'll usually put about 12-15" between flies. Weight if needed about a foot above the first fly. Dorsey type indicator, distance from the weight depends on the water depth and speed. For a dry rig, I like to fish 2 flies. If the second fly is a tiny one I'll use a larger first fly as an indicator, though I like both flies to be something the fish are eating. An example would be a size 20 BWO dry as an indicator for a size 22 Mole fly. Accuracy can be a problem though. Just gotta figure which fly you'd like the fish to take and present that one in it's lane. Tippet also depends on fly size and water flow.

Has anyone tried adding a short loop or tail of tippet to an Indicator fly that they're tying? I wonder if that would make it easier to tie droppers to the Indicator?

When I run two nymphs, I hang the second off the bend of the hook with a Davy knot tied to the bend, usually 10-18 apart from each other. Im not sure about efficacy of fishing two flies as Ive never hooked up on two, cant remember a fish ever taking the top fly, and I always worry about the damage a fish will cause getting wrapped up in the second hook. Plus you have more resistance on your line and that all impacts casting. I think I fish a dropper out of desperation if the fishing is slow and not for any really good reason. Tying tandem certainly isnt my first choice. A couple of weeks ago in was fishing with my buddy, I rigged a tandem for him and I think the fish took the top nymph, but the fish spit the hook in the net and I was never certain which fly it took.

I can take it or leave it.

For a dry rig, I like to fish 2 flies. If the second fly is a tiny one I'll use a larger first fly as an indicator, though I like both flies to be something the fish are eating. An example would be a size 20 BWO dry as an indicator for a size 22 Mole fly.

Thanks Sandan, I do the same thing with drys here in Massachusetts-

bendofhookdropper-1.jpg

eyeofhookdropper-1.jpg

dropperloopatbendofhook.jpg

bloodknotdropper.jpg

Thanks Norm, I use methods 2 & 4 and they both work for me but they each have drawbacks. Method #1 the upper fly never seems to drift correctly. With method #4 the upper fly drifts nicely but if you want to change it out you have to cut the blood knot because the remaining tippet is usually to short to retie. In my experience if you leave the blood knot tag line long enough to retie it will wrap around the dropper.

When I run two nymphs, I hang the second off the bend of the hook with a Davy knot tied to the bend, usually 10-18 apart from each other. Im not sure about efficacy of fishing two flies as Ive never hooked up on two, cant remember a fish ever taking the top fly, and I always worry about the damage a fish will cause getting wrapped up in the second hook. Plus you have more resistance on your line and that all impacts casting. I think I fish a dropper out of desperation if the fishing is slow and not for any really good reason. Tying tandem certainly isnt my first choice. A couple of weeks ago in was fishing with my buddy, I rigged a tandem for him and I think the fish took the top nymph, but the fish spit the hook in the net and I was never certain which fly it took.

I can take it or leave it.

I agree with you that with a 2+ fly rig comes additional problems. For one If you get sloppy with a cast the ensuing snarls can be a whole new level of horrendous. If you miss a fish with an aggressive hook set on a two fly set up the results usually require cutting and starting over (It happens to me often). There are times I prefer not to spend the extra time required to set up a dropper and just get out on the river fishing. I also catch a lot more fish on the dropper than the upper fly.

Still there are times I like to have the second fly. Fishing tandem soft hackles or winged wets in fast water, and 2 dries when the #2 fly is too small to see.

What about a dropper loop where the blood knot would be in method 4? I've tried it. Works ok. I prefer to tie off the eye or bend of the hook but I rarely fish for trout. Mostly bass and panfish.

Check Kelly Gallops video on drop shotting. He uses a perfection loop above the blood knot for his upper fly. Running end through the loop like in a loop to loop connection. Then tie on the upper. The upper fly can be swapped out without impacting the lower fly, and the upper fly can be slid further upwards, if desired.

Check Kelly Gallops video on drop shotting. He uses a perfection loop above the blood knot for his upper fly. Running end through the loop like in a loop to loop connection. Then tie on the upper. The upper fly can be swapped out without impacting the lower fly, and the upper fly can be slid further upwards, if desired.

Love that setup.

@flytire,

In your method 2, why is the dropper off the hook eye a larger size & stiffer tippet?