Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Wednesday's float trip

The wife and I had a float trip for smallies yesterday in Northern Wisconsin. It was 45 degrees when we started with wind and a light rain. It got a little better in the afternoon, but we fished in bibs all day. In the morning we landed a half a dozen toothy critters and had two bite offs. It was our first time fishing since last November, but we shook the rust off pretty quickly. It felt good to be back on the water, catching fish. The smallies started to hit after lunch and we caught some on Murdiches and EP streamers. Nothing quite like the battle of a smallie. Overall, an excellent start to the season.

post-35105-0-82142700-1558651613_thumb.jpg

Place a bet Poopdeck? lol. I've caught a ton of 18-21" smallies so usually pretty good at guessin' sizes, that one is real thick but doesn't look 21" to my calibrated eyeballs LOL wink.png

I would be stealing your money and that wouldn't be right. While your using calibrated eyes I'm using a scientically more accurate thumb scale. I measured 14 thumbs times 1.56 = 21.84. So it's actually closer to 22"

That's a hog of a smallie at any rate ! We get them like that in a certain place in Maine but generally not that fat here at home. But then they're fished a lot harder here so we may just be missing the fat ones..

Why did you use your thumb to estimate his bent forefinger? Beautiful 19" fish.