Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dadofmolly

Fur types

post-34554-0-69392900-1555522379_thumb.jpg

I think this might be from a fox but have nothing to compare it to so I am only guessing. Hair is approx. 2 1/2 to 3" long with a lot of under fur, soft to the feel.. Looking at the back of it, it was used as trim on some clothing, probably a coat.

post-34554-0-65588000-1555522748_thumb.jpg

Hair is about 3/4" long with guard hairs, grey under fur, really soft. Possibly rabbit, only it is a little different than my other rabbit fur.

post-34554-0-55353100-1555522968_thumb.jpg

Hair is about 2" long, no under fur and krinkly to the touch. I'm guessing sheep fur or possibly alpaca but, again, I have nothing to compare it to.

This stuff came with a bunch of other tying materials that were given to me and I'm hoping someone can help identify as the person who gave it to me doesn't tie and has no knowledge of the stuff.. Any help greatly appreciated.

does #3 have a hide on it?

Yes, kind of thick, although I don't use much fur so it may not be as thick as I think.

Thanks Guys

#1 looks too soft to be bear, could be wolverine, fox, hard to tell without handling it. #3 looks like wool of some sort, llama, sheep...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. After doing some research based on the various suggestions, pretty sure #1 is Finn Raccoon. As I was finishing up on the internet, my old feeble brain came to the wild idea that a more simple way would have been to take the 3 little patches to a fly shop and compare to what they have in stock, and then gone to the internet for help. Guess I can claim "Senior Moment -- brain fart". Any way, thanks guys.