Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Henrik Thomsen (DK)

Freestylin' a wetfly

Just mixed some feathers, floss and tinsel and threw it on a mustad 3399 hook.

post-13174-0-86199500-1472499845_thumb.jpg

Body is mirrage tinsel on pink micro floss.

Tail and wings are pink goose shoulders.

Hackle is a dirty white hen hackle.

Who can guess the cheek feathers?

/H

I think the gap hackle is a badger body Hackle???

You have great skill in setting those wings and tail so well. Your head is almost PERFECT...I haven't seen too many done that well. But i am going to call you on the bump in the body, near the tail.

If possible can you tell me how that happened? I am finding i also have problems with rouge body bumps...Specially when i start to tinsel. I would love to hear if you know how that mistake happened so that i can look at my problems as well.

Tip of an ostrich feather? Very nice though but DrVette is right. That little bump would keep it out of the museum. I'd put in a shadow box in a minute.

BCT !!! If I am not mistaken, you've been absent from the site for a while. Or have I just missed your posts?

Hi Mike - ah... I've been around looking in now and then. Nothing really to say as most say it regarding the questions and issues posted. No biggie!

Been pretty busty with a major renovation here too so.... that and helping move daughter in Chicago... and the wifey retiring... things are 'happening' here. Fishing's been 'off' here where I live (on the little lake). But there's been plenty to keep me busy so....

BCT

edit-addition: .... as far as the feather... maybe Emu? (not sure if Emu is protected.... so... - but I think I've seen it offered for sale is some places)

Emu is a meat animal ... mmmmmm giant chicken! Also supplies the Emu oil found in pain relief salves.

Yeah, you can use the feathers. I don't know what they're good for, though.

I think the gap hackle is a badger body Hackle???

You have great skill in setting those wings and tail so well. Your head is almost PERFECT...I haven't seen too many done that well. But i am going to call you on the bump in the body, near the tail.

If possible can you tell me how that happened? I am finding i also have problems with rouge body bumps...Specially when i start to tinsel. I would love to hear if you know how that mistake happened so that i can look at my problems as well.

Good spotted the bump. The light in the mirage tinsel actually creates this bump because I wind yhe tinsel from head to tail and back.

It isn't actually a bump, but the mirager tinsel changing direction of turning. ;-)