Fly Tying

Article - Realistic Insect Wings

You guys are in for a real treat with this one. Graham has shown us step by step how he creates the realistic wings on his flies. Not only does he show how it's done he even offers a download of his templates for our own use.

He has defiently done the leg work on this one to make it easier for all of us. headbang.gif

Thanks Graham for another great tutorial!!!!

Realistic Insect Wings

user posted image

Thanks Graham! A dragon fly is coming and I needed wings!

BFR

Thanks a lot, I just got back from a fishing trip and brought back many types of insects and wings to put on my scanner, I think that may work better than photos? Also took lots of close up pics of insects and wings. Give me a week and I'll share some more printable wings.

user posted image

user posted image

Graham

Thanks Banned, I like what you made, very nice, I just saved your file and will be sure to try your spinner wings.

Graham

Those were very nice Banned, I'll have to find to time to try them out aswell tonight or tomorrow before my fishing week.

Ulf

I will definitly post a picture, than you can decide if you want a fly or not.. it might not look very good biggrin.gif

But I'm still experimenting with printing, I'm having problems with printing to transparent films and waterproof paper with my ink printer. The ink won't stick to the film/paper and will get smeared when touched.... I'm hoping to find some setting for the printer to solve this problem.

Ulf

Hi Ulf, I set my "print properties" from plain paper to transparency, or it wont print well and smears. I use a color laser and have wondered if it would smear with an inkjet, and if a light spray of varnish would work to protect the coloring? I seem to recall printing color on clear overhead transparencies years ago (not tying related) and it did not smear.

Thanks Banned, I just saved your second file, it looks nice.

Graham