Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

is this a salmonfly?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Stuck in the shuck Salmon Fly, Madison River 2009

IMGP0224_zps5e7dcdab.jpg

IMGP0220_zps7bf551f1.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#17 frankie98

frankie98

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Here in southwestern Colorado the Piedra River is known for its stonefly hatch during the summer, and you can get some pretty good action on the adults and the nymphs. 

#18 RoyalRenegade

RoyalRenegade

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:24 AM

Don't forget that stoneflies are usually in and out of the rivers and streams when they are high and off color.  I think when you use the word hatch for salmonflies, everyone knows what you're talking about no matter what it is called that they do

#19 Bruce Norikane

Bruce Norikane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

...  I think when you use the word hatch for salmonflies, everyone knows what you're talking about no matter what it is called that they do

I vote for salmonfly hatch, too. Hatch captures the seasonal and daily rhythm of a bunch of adults appearing at once.

Fly fishermen have called all emergence's of adult insects "hatches" forever, and the phrase "salmonfly hatch" is very widely used. The fact that stoneflies "hatch" on land is important, but does not disqualify the term.

Technically, the word hatch means to emerge from an egg. So even a classic mayfly "hatch" is not a dictionary hatch. It's a metamorphosis from the nymph to dun (sub-imago). I'd be very sad to have to say all that when I spot little slate gray wings floating down the river.

Locally, we know that the "rubber hatch" means the float tubes have started, and "bikini hatch" means too hot to fish but still great to be on the river.

#20 andresere

andresere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

The Deschutes River here in Oregon goes absolutely bonkers when this comes off. Especially when they start dropping back down on the water to lay eggs. Fish hit like a freight train. Very large Sofa Pillows and Stimulators and heavy leaders! It is a bucket list type adventure. If I remember right,  the migration to the shore steadily moves up river.

#21 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Salmonfly from the Colorado River by "Pumphouse" and two flies that imitate them.  Both work great, yes even upside down

qyrH8oj3_t.jpg

mBKzfNCG_t.jpg

KIVxkjCk_t.jpg