Fly Tying

Blue gills are some of the top food sources for some large freshwater predatory fish like bass, trout, pike, and walleye. Bluegill are in almost every lake and pond across america and most of the world. They have a yellow and bright orange belly with an olive back. The olive color rabbit zonker has stripes on it in order to imitate the stripes on the back of these baitfish. Also the dubbing colors will imitate the bluegills belly colors. It also swims really nicely with lots of movement.

Hook: Daiichi 1750 - Size 10
Thread: Ultra Thread 70 - Burnt Orange
Tail: Olive and white marabou
Top Body: Olive barred bunny zonker
Body Wrap: Bull Frog Dubbing - White, yellow hopper, and caddis orange.
Eye: 4mm 3D eyes
Eye adhesive: Fletch Tight
Head Building: Solarez "Thin Hard" UV curing resin

Best part about your vid is the type set that comes up and tells the viewer which material you are currently working with. No audio on my work computer so I find that a nice feature.

J

Best part about your vid is the type set that comes up and tells the viewer which material you are currently working with. No audio on my work computer so I find that a nice feature.

J

Thanks, glad you like it!

Nice. I like the fact that your video's are quick and to the point. I am not always in the mood to sit through 10 to 20 minutes of video.

I also appreciate that you post the recipe for the fly under the video. You don't have to keep going back to the video to get the materials list.

Again, nice.

Your's is the only pattern I've seen where the "blue gill" (black dot) was added behind the eye. Nicely done! Something else that I've never seen properly captured in a blue gill fly, including your's, is the blue gill's iridescent tail. It's similar to the tail in the photo. Perhaps only some crystal flash in an articulated tail would do the trick???

post-37228-0-85647500-1477141969_thumb.jpg

Your's is the only pattern I've seen where the "blue gill" (black dot) was added behind the eye. Nicely done! Something else that I've never seen properly captured in a blue gill fly, including your's, is the blue gill's iridescent tail. It's similar to the tail in the photo. Perhaps only some crystal flash in an articulated tail would do the trick???

That picture there is not of a bluegill... but I know what you mean. I also was trying to figure out how to put blue in the fly. There are spots of bright blue usually checkering through a bluegills body. Marker won't do that... I can't think of how to use material for this effect either.

"That picture there is not of a bluegill..."

I think most of us know that.....I could not find one of a blue gill that illustrates the iridescence. For some reason it can't be seen when the fish is out of the water and that's where the pictures are usually taken.

"That picture there is not of a bluegill..."

I think most of us know that.....I could not find one of a blue gill that illustrates the iridescence. For some reason it can't be seen when the fish is out of the water and that's where the pictures are usually taken.

I wasn't trying to be rude... please don't think that. Sorry if that came off that way, it was not my intention

these flies from the internet have the black dot

sunny 1.jpg

sunny 2.jpg

sunny 3.jpg

sunny 4.jpg

sunny 5.jpg

sunny 6.jpg

sunny 7.jpg

Many have the blue as well. My guess is they used white material and then used a marker? I want to re-do this fly once I figure out a good way to do the blue. I'll add KF also for the iridescence in the tail. I'd prefer to use materials that are already blue, rather than color them (except for the dot behind the ear). If you have any suggestions, it would be appreciated

Good Video. Keep it up. I like it. Nice,fast and to the point.

Been watching a lot of streamers videos lately and what drives me nuts(not in yours) is guys letting the thread hit the point of the hook while wrapping...tink,tink,tink

It's like fingernails on the chalk board to me.

One suggestion I like to see is even through you show all the materials used and list them some other guy out there(can't remember is name now) every time he applies/uses a material he takes the package and puts it right up to the camera lens. It make it's nice because you can really see the Company name that makes it and the color/actual name of the product and sometimes the website...makes it easy to find.

The fourth one down is mine. It works great, but takes way too long to tie. I didn't have a black marker so I used a purple one. I've never seen blue on the blue gills around here. Must be a regional thing.

Good Video. Keep it up. I like it. Nice,fast and to the point.

Been watching a lot of streamers videos lately and what drives me nuts(not in yours) is guys letting the thread hit the point of the hook while wrapping...tink,tink,tink

It's like fingernails on the chalk board to me.

One suggestion I like to see is even through you show all the materials used and list them some other guy out there(can't remember is name now) every time he applies/uses a material he takes the package and puts it right up to the camera lens. It make it's nice because you can really see the Company name that makes it and the color/actual name of the product and sometimes the website...makes it easy to find.

Thanks for the kind words.

I actually tinked the hook point in a video I just shot (scheduled for upload next Friday). However I was using monofilament thread, which I find very difficult to work with. But yeah I know what you mean. I get mad at myself when I do that. But I'm not perfect and it happens more often then I like.

For showing the materials I guess it's all up to preference. When I first started filming I made a few vids like that (holding up the materials). Some people told me they hated that, so I stopped. I decided to put the material pictures at the begining of the video all together at once. I find it a happy medium, it allows people to rewind and pause to see the materials used if they need the visual reference, but also keeps the video short and satisfies those that don't want me holding it up before using. If you want the visual reference go to about 25 seconds into all my videos. You will see an image of all the materials I use, if you pause it you could take a picture with your phone or something for looking at while viewing the rest of the video?

The fourth one down is mine. It works great, but takes way too long to tie. I didn't have a black marker so I used a purple one. I've never seen blue on the blue gills around here. Must be a regional thing.

Good looking fly... an ep style, nice job!

Here is a drawn pic of a bluegill with blue. I think that's where they get there name "bluegill" but yeah I've seen some with and some without.

post-58316-0-83582500-1477150330_thumb.jpg