Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Happy Memorial Day everybody.

I don't mean to pick on you in particular, but a lot of people seem to have misconceptions about what Memorial Day is. It's to honor those who have fallen in the service of their country. There's nothing happy about that. And it's not the day to honor all those who served; that day comes in November.

Sorry if I offended you. We should each honor the fallen in our own way. I know it's for the fallen but also wanted to tell survivors that I appreciate them also.

Mark,

Thank you, and you're welcome. As we remember those we know that have fallen, those of us that can still hear, appreciate the thoughts of our fellow citizens that chose to remember with us. As I say at to those with whom I've served every year, happy memorial day, and God bless all who serve(d).

I so agree. Memorial Day is a somber and reflective day. I fly my flag in the front yard at half staff until noon. Then raise to full staff.

So many lost their futures so we could be where we are.

Having served ... and lived.

Having lost close friends to enemy actions ...

Having had family members who served, some are here, some are not ...

I say HAPPY Memorial Day !!! Take a minute and bow your head for those who gave all. Then whoop it up and enjoy ALL the freedoms they died to ensure! You KNOW that's what they'd be doing if they were here! If I could, I would be!

Well, I'm not a drinker, never have been. I'm not one to "whoop it up" in that way. A happy Memorial day for me means spending time with people close to me and remembering the one that have passed. I remember the good times with the people that have passed and consider each moment with them a gift. I'm not one to dwell on how it is they died.

Not a drinker, either, consider it a waste of time. And in my life right now, not a barbecue eater (new life choices are going to suck for a while).

I get quite annoyed when people think that honoring their fallen military or family means spending time being somber, morose and internally "thoughtful."

Perhaps that isn't right ... not annoyed. Sit in quiet solitude and remember them if that's how you want to do it. I just don't understand it.

When I am gone ... I don't want a single tear shed for me.

I want people to remember the things I did that made them or me happy. I want them to go out there and DO those things.

Pour the proverbial "cup of wine" on the floor, then dance over it on the way to the closest water.

Whip out a few pieces of wood and build a chair that doesn't sit quite right.

Eat a hearty salad with no sodium, fat, or ... no wait, that one isn't quite making me "happy", yet.

You get the point. Celebrate the life they led. Celebrate the time spent together.

If you believe in an afterlife, they're watching you, which means you don't want to do anything to make them sad.