Fly Tying
GG34

trimming EP fiber

For starters, I would tie it a lot sparser, sometimes so sparse you can see light through it. Then, lay it flat on its side and brush it out. Long full size scissors work best but you can use regular fly tying ones if needed. It depends on the shape you want (bluegill, mullet, etc) will dictate how you trim it. I usually trim the tail to a point so it looks sort of like a triangle and then round off the top and bottom near the hook eye. You can also used curved scissors.

Ya i agree with agn54, alot sparser. I use curved scissors and cut the tail to a point, but not to fine. Honestly, what you got there will probably look pretty good when wet. what i always do after i tye an EP bait fish is hol it under the sink for a few seconds, so you can get an idea what it will look like wet. I do it with all my EP flys to see what they look like and am always impressed with the results. Give it a go and i bet that that fly will look rather good.

I would suggest taking that one apart, and tying two or three flies with those fibers. I use a set of tapering scissors I got from Sally Beauty Supply on sale for $10.00 to thin mine out near the tails.

If you go to "From the Saltwater Bench" and scroll through the pages you will see some good examples of bait fish flies. kimjensen has a sequence of one showing the full untrimmed fly and the finished product. Less is more with baitfish.

Some guys also use those fancy thinning shears to lighten the pattern.

And again look at kemjensens post #29 and you will how he trimmed a bulky start ( similar to yours ) down to a nice baitfish in the "From the saltwater bench"

I think part of the problem is I start tying fibers in around the hook bend. Maybe start mid shank? Seems most examples have a lot more hook exposed.

I find too that short shank hooks keep me from wanting to tie on more than needed as well. If I get time this weekend I'll try to do an SBS on a baitfish. Personally I think it would be great to see more SBS on some of the exceptional salt water flies some of our guys tie in our salt water section.

post-54079-0-75141300-1423961320_thumb.jpg

I posted this picture on the last thread about EP baitfish. This is how I like to tie them, very sparse.