Fly Tying
dafack01

Saltwater fly boxes?

You could always make your own. One afternoon I made up a half dozen or so using a craft box, foam sheets, some spray on contact cement, and a glue gun. Depending on the size of the flies you can arrange the cross pieces of foam however you want. A previous poster (Chefben) posted a step by step a while back. You can often find the boxes on sale at the major craft stores. Sure beats paying upwards of $40 for a fly box. Just a thought.

post-50086-0-02797100-1437569123_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-80436700-1437569138_thumb.jpg

Allen Fly fishing is closing out their "guide" boxes which are large enough to make good salt water boxes. Small is $10.00, the larger one is $15.00

They're gone already. :(

What foam do you use? I'm thinking about getting a big clear Plano box for cheap and gluing some foam in it that I pre-slit with a box cutter. Just don't know what foam to use. Polyethylene foam like the stuff used on pool noodles and pipe insulation?

For the ones I made I used sheets of EVA foam from Creatology (Got mine at Michaels craft store). I used 2 or 3 mm foam on the base and glued 5mm foam strips on top with a glue gun. I thought about doing it the way you described but opted for strips of foam that the flies can just be stuck to. I would think the EVA foam sheets would work for your method as long as the foam was thick enough to hold the hooks. I am sure there are some other types of foam that would work too.

From the looks of the slots, it looks like you could also use these for lots of smaller flies like size 8 -12 bluegill flies. What do you think?

From the looks of the slots, it looks like you could also use these for lots of smaller flies like size 8 -12 bluegill flies. What do you think?

I have the extra large, I just ordered the medium last nite the foam is awesome nice and tight i just took a size 16 pheasent tail nymph and pushed it in the foam fit perfect didnt budge at all the box is nice, not super quality like a pelican case but definatly could be priced higher than it is i really like the foam on the outside for your flies after they are wet untill you get home and rinse them. unless you really want a huge box then dont get the extra large lol

Thanks Joe. I suspect I can hold more bluegill bugs in the medium box than you can hold of those big streamers in the Large box. I've wanted something like this for a long time but couldn't justify the cost of the ones I could find online. All the boxes on Green Caddis and most other sites are little bitty things build for nymphs. I want something at least the size of a sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 11) so the medium would suit me fine.

Thanks Joe. I suspect I can hold more bluegill bugs in the medium box than you can hold of those big streamers in the Large box. I've wanted something like this for a long time but couldn't justify the cost of the ones I could find online. All the boxes on Green Caddis and most other sites are little bitty things build for nymphs. I want something at least the size of a sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 11) so the medium would suit me fine.

thats exactly why i just ordered the medium myself for day trips ect.. the price is hard to beat and shipping is cheap beats payng 70 plus dollars for another brand boat box. you will be pleased i promise thats why I posted it let everyone else in on the action.

Don't store wet salties in your box. You'll end up with a whole ruined box.

I carry some loose foam in a pocket to hold wet one and they have a good wash on return home before drying and going back in my plano box.