Fly Tying
Chia

Crawfish

What are your go to patterns? I tie the Bronze Godess and Pig Jig. Looking for other productive patterns for small, clear streams.

Thanks

I like a craw bugger. The only difference between it and a crystal bugger is the marabou tail. Tie in a little more marabou than usual for the tail. Separate the tail in half and divide it. Make several wraps around the base of each marabou claw. Use a UV cure or superglue at the thread bases for the claws. This keeps them separate and they look like claws.

Bob

This is the fly I call my Panfish Attractor. I believe, when it's moved along the bottom, it's mimicking a small crayfish.

It's my most productive pattern, to date.

This is the fly I call my Panfish Attractor. I believe, when it's moved along the bottom, it's mimicking a small crayfish.

attachicon.gifpax river flies (3).JPG

It's my most productive pattern, to date.

Mike, you are going to like Al and Gretchen BT's rendition of your fly. Perhaps not the Norwegian cat hair wing, so much. Will send your copy with rest on the Butte Ugly Swap turnaround. Will post recipe sooner if anyone needs it. I am tying mine after I get more swap sets finished and out the door.

I don't think I've ever caught a fish on a crawdad pattern. I tied realistic ones and impressionistic ones,even drops a real crawdad juice on them with no luck.

I don't even tie them anymore.

I haven't had much luck either with crayfish patterns and I've tried all sorts from realistic to surrealistic. This is one my last attempts at tying one. It's been sitting in my box for a year or two and I still haven't got around to fishing it. Maybe this year. It's a variation of the Calcasieu Pig Boat. I tied in a couple of rattles to form the "tail". This one's a weedless version.

post-309-0-24955300-1489020922_thumb.jpg

I dropped the other one I tied in a jar of water to get an idea of what it would would like in the water. It isn't sitting on the "bump"

post-309-0-87827700-1489021161_thumb.jpg

Similar to mine KS.... I think I'll try some with raffia grass backs too but still wrap the d-rib over it. Thanks for the idea...Lotta different ways to do claws....could invert the hook put lead eyes and use your tech and make a gooder one....one that would look real and maybe swim "real" drop quicker. Mine work better on the drift not so much on the strip back but sometimes. I tie hook up now and down on the originals....I had to glue the deer hair on the heads for longer "life".

You just could move "hair claws" back along side some to fix that, maybe...I think big eyes help seal the deal also....I think most of the guys are content with wooly buggers....sigh....

Started playing around with the Crawbody, they work well if you get a solid base under them. Looking forward to giving them a try once the ice melts. I have always had decent luck with crayfish patterns.

I used burlap in a way to make both the underbodies for the stone and the crayfish to be flat so that I could get a nice realistic profile without filling the hook gap.

If interested you can see the step-by-step here.

https://tieflycast.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/underbody-building/

post-10800-0-06771800-1490367099_thumb.jpg

Started playing around with the Crawbody, they work well if you get a solid base under them. Looking forward to giving them a try once the ice melts. I have always had decent luck with crayfish patterns.

I used burlap in a way to make both the underbodies for the stone and the crayfish to be flat so that I could get a nice realistic profile without filling the hook gap.

If interested you can see the step-by-step here.

https://tieflycast.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/underbody-building/

Thanks for sharing the burlap tip , can't wait to try it .