Fly Tying
ColonelMel

Household Materials Swap

THIS SWAP IS FULL!

I haven't been very active on here for awhile, but with this lousy, long winter weather, can't hunt, fish, etc. So may as well host a swap. I had a crazy idea, and I hope some of you get into it. In this swap, tie any fly you want for any species, BUT only the hook and thread can be standard fly tying material. 100% of the materials used must be common materials found around the house, office, garage, basement, etc. Some ideas: cotton balls, tuff of dog hair, burlap bag, lamp pull chain, paracord, knitting yarn, flip flop foam..... you get the idea. Absolute deadline is April 30. All standard rules apply... self address return postage, toe tags. Let's keep it USA, it's just simpler on me. Open to 10 tiers.

Give it some thought and after you're in give us a list of the materials you plan to use. It doesn't have to be a complicated fly, just tied with common stuff.

1. Colonel Mel: panfish foam bug, nymph-completed

2. Psychoprince: nymph

3. J-Kno: hare's ear (kinda)-received

4. Singletrack: Black stone fly: received

5.vicrider: received

6.Tim980: foam drawer liner ant - received

7. Netabrookie: parachord fly-received

8. Natedubay-received

9. Trouser Trout: weather stripping foam beatle - received

10. DavidHV: Lemonade Nymph- received

11. jd1983 :crane fly larvae-received

12: Joseph Russell: Czech nymph- recieved

In (if you'll have me) with a Vizsla fur, lint, and fabric nymph with a earbud wire rib... (like a hare's ear, kinda)

Welcome aboard, Pychoprince and J-Kno. Like the way you think, J-Kno.... kinda. When you've had some time to think about it, Pychoprince, let us know what materials you'll be using.

Count me in. At least this one I won't have to hurry up and send out an order to get the materials.blink.png

please include me. i'll be tying an ant using foam drawer liner.

I read this earlier today and then went to town and then to a friends garage for a while and it is still not full, so I just can't resist saying "I'm in" I will figure out what I am tying within a couple of days and then let you know. Now I have to tear the house apart and find things that I can tie on a hook... I almost wish that it was just two swappers because then I could tie a cat on each hook and mail these furry little beasts away.

vicrider, tim980, and netabrookie, welcome. Netabrookie, I may have to change your listing above when you finally decide.

ColonelMel, when I read that I laughed so hard that I had to dry the tears. I will find something besides cats to tie on but in the mean time thanks for the great laugh.

Speaking of cats. I once saw a posting on craigslist by some lady who had spent years collecting her cat's whiskers when they would fall out on their own. She said in her posting they could be used for fly tying. That's how I found it, because I occasionally search for fly fishing stuff on there. At the time I thought it was pretty strange, especially since she wrote fly tying in her post. Now I wish I got them because they would have been very handy for this swap!

I see this swap as being all in fun and creative, Netabrookie.

Believe it or not, I had no idea what I was going to tie when I came up with this swap. Just like the rest of you, I have to dig around and see what I had and try a couple to see what worked. I'll be using a #8 scud hook, frayed nylon rope for the tail, cotton ball dubbing and embroidery thread ribbing with frayed twine as a wing to make a panfish wet fly.

ONLY 5 SPOTS LEFT!