Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Uncleholiday

Crease fly

Tied some modified versions with the gill slits.

When casting they spin really badly twisting my leader terribly.

Is this my poor casting technique or badly tied flies or both?

Anyone else experienced this problem??

All of my "crease" style flies have had some spin to them. My foam frog is terrible with it. Almost every retrieve ends with me lifting the fly with the rod to let the spin out of the line.

I think it's all the fly. Not necessarily the tying of it, just a design flaw that can't really be overcome.

I've never had that problem with Crease Flies. Could be because I use a fairly heavy tippet when I fish it. Usually, 25 lb fluorocarbon. Also, I tie them either on 1XL or 2XL hooks

post-309-0-05383300-1425690791_thumb.jpg

or articulated shanks.

post-309-0-04828800-1425691134_thumb.jpg

Without seeing what your fly looks like. It could be the gill slits, or the position of the body on the hook. Too much of the body hanging over the back of hook, or maybe placed to high on the hook shank

Tied some modified versions with the gill slits.

When casting they spin really badly twisting my leader terribly.

Is this my poor casting technique or badly tied flies or both?

Anyone else experienced this problem??

Post a picture of your fly, it could be your design or you leader set up. As far as slit gills I never have seen any reason to add them. First, the fly itself is really not durable...thin foam doesn't hold up well even with an epoxy coating. I tye maybe five dozen Crease Flys a season or more and find that inserting a rattle with some extra foam adds a little more toughness but they don't hold up. Crease Flys are not poppers, yes they can pop but after a few good hard pops the face will rip. These flys are surface flys, subtle splashes and disturbances on the top. A guide I tye for says the rattle holds the interest of the fish longer so I use them often. As for the spinning short leaders work best, seven foot or less, there will be some spin but not much. Joe Blados, the originator of the fly (named by his wife), constructs his with a very narrow face...no open popper face. So,a picture would really be helpful.

Ive been tying and fishing crease flies for a few years now and I have found that with a heavy sink tip and about 30 pound mono-filament they do not twist on me at all.

Betty, Dron did a great looking "crease" type fly, with an open face and gill cuts. It's a very good looking fly, and will probably be a killer.

Yes, soft foam flies are not durable ... but having a big fish tear it up is a good reason to tie it "differently".

Betty, Dron did a great looking "crease" type fly, with an open face and gill cuts. It's a very good looking fly, and will probably be a killer.

Yes, soft foam flies are not durable ... but having a big fish tear it up is a good reason to tie it "differently".

I totally agree, I would rather catch a fish and have a fly destroyed than not catch. I regularly tye open face Crease Flys because they can pop if I want the fly to do so. Gill slits are for 1) water to shoot out and thus create more disturbance to get the attention of the fish or 2) because it looks cool? My opinion, and only my opinion, is gill slits are not my thing but for others it's effective.....it's all personal. The flys are truly beautiful but I don't feel they are for me. No disrespect meant in my post but Crease Flys though fish catchers are disposable fly in my mind, that why I tye so many.

I agree with betty...I want my sunfish flies to last but I will trade a good snook, red, small tarpon, or several others for an easy to make crease fly. I would even trade one for a big pike or bass.