Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Clouser Minnow Sexy Shad Streamer Fly

Sexy Shad Clouser Minnow fly tying sexy shad clouser minnow streamer freshwater streamer bass fly bass bug

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:29 PM

I enjoyed that! Thankyou!

Glad you liked the video!  :)  

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#17 retrocarp

retrocarp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:26 AM

Yeah Nice video !

Nick

#18 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

I tied a closers once when I started tying.I think it may be time to giver another go!Nicely done!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#19 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

Taking color clues for predator flies from popular casting lures is a good idea. We can even build in some design features of proven 'plugs' by creative applications of relatively new fly tying techniques like reverse tying of wing materials over flared foundations -- fat plugs? Fly tyers are even ahead of plug casters in that we can use weights and selection and placement of materials to obtain a variety of fly movements in the water whereas the plug casters are pretty much stuck with what comes out of the box at no joke costs. 

But it is useful to keep in mind that many -- most?-- really successful plugs look and act nothing like the promotional names attached to them.  Ever see a fresh water shad with a blue back for example or purple or chartreuse?  Those colors do work and sometimes to the exclusion of all others but they often are only selectively at their best under specific light and water conditions. The same plugs in Fire Tiger, Black, Crawfish and even in some psychodelic patterns also  trigger big predator strikes and impressive catches.  

Adapting patterns to your needs is also half the fun.

Rocco 

#20 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:15 AM

The reason for the criss cross wraps along the belly hair are well explained by Bob Clouser in his book, on the web, and in the videos where he is tying the fly.   Nobody really seems to give a crap about listening to the man who developed the style though.   Just put some dumbell eyes and bucktail on a hook and call it a "Clouser".   It's all the same, right?  

the gales of November remembered...

#21 retrocarp

retrocarp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

IMG_0206.JPG

Nick

#22 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,641 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

at the 3:32 mark in the video, bob clouser tells you about the criss cross/spiral wrap of the body hair. 

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#23 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

I prefer tying this way.  And this is taken from his site!  

clous.JPG

#24 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

The reason for the criss cross wraps along the belly hair are well explained by Bob Clouser in his book, on the web, and in the videos where he is tying the fly.   Nobody really seems to give a crap about listening to the man who developed the style though.   Just put some dumbell eyes and bucktail on a hook and call it a "Clouser".   It's all the same, right?  

Breathe, it will be ok... Lol

www.McFlyAngler.com

#25 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

clous.JPG

I thought bend backs were where the hook was bent back slightly. The picture you posted looks more like a regular clouser than a bend back... Am I mistaking?

www.McFlyAngler.com

#26 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

Kinda reminds me of the time Jeb Bush had given a rousing speech at a rally and forgot his mic was still on and as he walked off stage he said, "Oh please clap".

Yeah, I fish bass, but that's basically just another clouser and if the colors work better in your shad lakes great. My shad lake here prefers all white with a red throat.

ps...I come back to edit and say it's a nice video showing a good clouser tying method. Some, and I've never figured out why, like to put a crisscross basket weave behind the eyes and I've never known why that's done.

Nick

LOL, I am just trying to get discussion going.  The more discussion, the more views I get.  The more views I get, the better my channel does.  Plus I always like to get feedback from people.  I am not looking for someone to "clap" haha.    

Yeah, generally the bass eat most any color.  All white, chartreuse and white, red and white, most they eat.  I just know that the pro bass fishermen use this color pattern a lot.  So, thats why I tie it.  Yes its just another clouser with a different color pattern.  

Regarding the cris cross pattern behind the eyes, I don't understand why either.  Maybe except to save thread?  But I always do fine when just wrapping smoothly.  Anyone here know why the criss cross is done?  

#27 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

Kinda reminds me of the time Jeb Bush had given a rousing speech at a rally and forgot his mic was still on and as he walked off stage he said, "Oh please clap".

Yeah, I fish bass, but that's basically just another clouser and if the colors work better in your shad lakes great. My shad lake here prefers all white with a red throat.

ps...I come back to edit and say it's a nice video showing a good clouser tying method. Some, and I've never figured out why, like to put a crisscross basket weave behind the eyes and I've never known why that's done.

Nick

LOL, I am just trying to get discussion going.  The more discussion, the more views I get.  The more views I get, the better my channel does.  Plus I always like to get feedback from people.  I am not looking for someone to "clap" haha.    
Yeah, generally the bass eat most any color.  All white, chartreuse and white, red and white, most they eat.  I just know that the pro bass fishermen use this color pattern a lot.  So, thats why I tie it.  Yes its just another clouser with a different color pattern.  
Regarding the cris cross pattern behind the eyes, I don't understand why either.  Maybe except to save thread?  But I always do fine when just wrapping smoothly.  Anyone here know why the criss cross is done?

*takes deep breath*. Ahhhhh. Ok life is good now. Lol. ;)

www.McFlyAngler.com

#28 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

it's all good.   I find it continually amazing how such a simple fly style- literally 4 components - causes so much weirdness among everyone.

the gales of November remembered...

#29 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

it's all good.   I find it continually amazing how such a simple fly style- literally 4 components - causes so much weirdness among everyone.

Lol

www.McFlyAngler.com

#30 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:46 AM

clous.JPG

I thought bend backs were where the hook was bent back slightly. The picture you posted looks more like a regular clouser than a bend back... Am I mistaking?

I'm not sure why they called it that.  The hook isn't bent.  The only difference is all the material is tied opposite the eyes.  No need to bend the hook.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sexy Shad, Clouser Minnow, fly tying, sexy shad clouser minnow, streamer, freshwater streamer, bass fly, bass bug