Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Realistic Crayfish Pattern

crayfish

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Troutenhosen

Troutenhosen

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hello All,

I just signed up for this message board.  Let me introduce myself as a Western NY fly tier and fisherman.  I have been making this crayfish pattern for years, one of the few that I can call an original design.  I made a video of it here:

#2 Floatfisher

Floatfisher

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

Nice fly and nice video.smile.png

I'll have to give it a try!

The worst day fishing is always better than the best day working!!!

<"((((((((><

#3 Hazathor

Hazathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

I'm a huge fan of crayfish patterns, thanks for posting! 

-Nick H.

#4 Troutslayer101

Troutslayer101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

Going to try this one.  Nice Job! 

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution."  John Gierach

#5 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Nice! Like it a lot. Gonna have to try one or two.
Tight lines,
David

#6 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

Great little tie!
Bimini15

#7 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

I've been looking for a nice craw pattern to add to my arsenal. I like the overall look of this pattern. The "claws" seem right, not to big. Do you think it would hurt to subsitute rubber legs for the antenae and legs and do the quills for the flukes make it tough to thread the eye? The hook style seems to suit the fly. Do you think the turned down eye helps it ride hook up? Do you fish this fly with a loop knot or a fixed knot?

sorry for the 20 ? thx

#8 Troutenhosen

Troutenhosen

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

I've been looking for a nice craw pattern to add to my arsenal. I like the overall look of this pattern. The "claws" seem right, not to big. Do you think it would hurt to subsitute rubber legs for the antenae and legs and do the quills for the flukes make it tough to thread the eye? The hook style seems to suit the fly. Do you think the turned down eye helps it ride hook up? Do you fish this fly with a loop knot or a fixed knot?

sorry for the 20 ? thx

Swampsinger,

I've used a lot of different materials in developing this fly, the result you see is my favorite iteration.  The rubber you use for legs is not that durable and gets bitten off fairly quickly.  I don't have a problem threading the quill through the eye.  It gets thinner toward the tip, if you have trouble just trim it shorter.  The weighting method I show is what makes the hook ride upside down.  You could bend the shank a little into a keel shape and that would help too.  I just tie the fly on with a trilene knot (double loop clinch).  You should tie a few, experiment as much as you like.  Maybe you'll improve it.   Pete

#9 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

I do similar one with drib for tails...
69AB5FEA-79D0-49CA-B169-D7147528B238_zps
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#10 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Hello All,

I just signed up for this message board.  Let me introduce myself as a Western NY fly tier and fisherman.  I have been making this crayfish pattern for years, one of the few that I can call an original design. 

looks good. I tied one up similar based on your pattern last night. May try to get a picture and post it after work. Thanks for the inspiration.

#11 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

20170303_211654_zpsqn8uqmg7.jpg

#12 Troutenhosen

Troutenhosen

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

I like it, Fishingguy!  That's some crazy dubbing you used.  Did you mix it yourself?  An old freind, Mark Stothard, made a pattern he called the "Econocrab".  It was a crayfish pattern that was quick and easy to tie.  It relied on heavy dubbing that got picked and brushed out.  The whisk-broom effect dispensed with having to make claws, antennae, or legs.  It was pretty cool.

#13 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

No, its one of the blends from fly tyers dungeon. Bull frog, I think it's called. Hopper tan color. It's loaded with tiny rubber legs. I actually picked out a few of the legs from the dubbing and wrapped them as the rib on the one on the right.

#14 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

Bull frog is one of his fine dry fly dubbing, he makes some really nice very buggy dubbings at a great price though.

#15 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

What time do you start the etoufee?  These look so good I might trying eating them, bass get outa the way!

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crayfish