Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Steelheadin' tips

Ok, this a time for all you MI boys to shine!!! Will has convinced me to go on this maniacal trip into the frozen wastes of Pennsylvania in January. I have never fished for Steelhead in my life and can use ALL the information you fellows are willing to share. What types of flies? What to look for as far as water conditions and cover? Tippets and leaders? Drift techniques? Is it that much different that fishing for trout? Help me out fellas!! unsure.gif

Fish deep, fish slow and use eggs and nymphs. Pheasant tails, Hare's ears and wiggler pattern work on this side of the pond. Penn may be a different story. Most of the guys we spotted in Ohio Waters were using minnows, which is un-heard of in our parts. Maybe a sparse dace fished slightly ahead of the current on a long leader?

Winters are tough. The fish are very selective.

I bet Lance could help you out with those "Southern Fish"

OH GAWWWWDDD....NOW I'M DEFFINETLY BACKIN OUT OF THAT TRIP!

A Kentucky boy goin on a winter steelhead trip......you want me to have the doc's# on my speed dial for your frozen ass or is Will gonna help to keep you warm wub.gif

biggrin.gif

SD

QUOTE (Shoe @ Dec 2 2003, 05:55 PM)
Make sure to pack some Mydol. I bet someone's ***** gonna hurt..  crying.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I dont even have a reply to that one shoe..lol that was to funny!

As long as we're not catching the tail end of a good run-off you can bank on very clear to gin clear conditions. Like shoe said, fish sloowwwww deep. in mid winter larger streamers will probably only be marginally effective. Think small (#10-16) nymphs like the ones previously mentioned as well as stones and caddis pupa. Also sucker spawn in #12-16 and egg flies in the same sizes. IF there is some color to the water you can get away with egg flies as large as a #4. Some of my buddies will go as small as #18's on their nymphs. I just can't bring myself to go that small for steel. dunno.gif

any info on where you are staying, rates and the like? i would like to go, but with the money crunch now i have to start begging, um, i mean talking to the wife about what we can and cant afford

The place I plan on staying is at http://www.elkcreeksports.com the place is nice and it's actually a lodge with a big room that has a wide screen tv and a tying table that fits six people with vises already at the table.

The charge $30 a night for one person or $46 for two people staying in the same room.

I think a three day license is about $20 and that includes the trout stamp.

Been there many times and the most fly productive patterns I found, in order, are:

1. Sucker Spawn imitation (tied in light blue, light cream, or light pink)

2. Pheasant Tails (small - 12, 14, 16)

3. Emerging Caddis (small - 12, 14, 16)

I have not had a lot of luck with yarn eggs, although I can't seem to stop trying them when I'm there. I will usually run a tandem rig with the egg as the attractor and the Pheasant Tail as the dropper. I run the Sucker Spawn imitation by itself. The locals do use minnows, with very good results. For the Spin Fisherperson, you can also have some good success with spawn bags, tied with 3-4 eggs per bag. I have also seen people using bags with a fly rod.

I'll add my .02 now that I have clearance from Mrs. JJ to attend.

Things I would never get caught with out in Erie.

Flies :

Egg patterns: sucker spawn, blood dots and glo bugs. Sizes 12/14/16/18

Woolly buggers, I like the small ones. Size 10 with a sparse tail. Black,brown and even chartreuse if the water is up an moving.

Small stone flies. In cold water size does matter. I prefer 16 and yes 18 if the water is low and clear.

Lead or Steel shot, size 6

I mostly drift fish for Steel under an indicator. I use fluorocarbon for tippet, 5x is one I have on mostly.

If the water is low and clear, I have used 6x. Don't come over gunned for these fish. Fish for them as you would trout.

If anyone is tying for this trip and needs some angora to tye up sucker spawns. Drop me a PM with your address. I have yards of the stuff.

I have white, pink and pale yellow. These are my favorite colors.

For you southern folk. I'll have a extras of everything mentioned above. Just in case you need and hand from a Yank !

I just reserved a room for Friday and Saturday night for two people at Elkcreek lodge.

Im the only one comming up. So if any one needs a room..?

I asked for a privaite bath room. Dont know how long its been for some of you all to take a shower. biggrin.gif

This may sould dumb but whats the difference between "sucker spawn" and a normal egg fly dunno.gif ......i usally use ethier Mcfly egg material or just plain yarn ....will that be wrong for this trip?

SD

Here is a link with some good info on the sucker spawn http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly_tying...r_spawn_fly.htm

It is an imitation of a spawn of a sucker and is by far the most used fly on the erie tribs and they are tied in a wide variety of colors. For some strange reason I have not had much luck with them but everyone up there swears by them so go figure dunno.gif

OK i guess there is a difference....it looks like a freakin pc of popcorn biggrin.gif

I'll start tyin some up after a trip to the fly shop this weekend just in case!

And Will about the 20-40 fish day......if i land 20-40 and they turn out to be suckers then you might not be returning from PA!.... gun_bandana.gif biggrin.gif

please tell me the elk isnt also loaded with suckers!

SD