Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyrod1974

Stretch tubing origin?

Before stretch tubing entered the fly tying world, what was it used for?

Thank you

Rich

You may be talking about surgical tubing.

no i think hes talking about larva lace, liquid lace, liqui lace etc

i think larva lace from phil camera came out first and then liqui lace from mike tucker followed.

from the internet

Camera's popular book, Fly Tying With Synthetics was one of the first books ever written on the subject. He is also the inventor and first manufacturer of the popular fly tying material Larvalace™.

LARVA LACE - BODY MATERIAL & MIDGE LACE was developed to meet the need for soft, realistic nymph tying material. The high stretchability of Larva Lace gives it lifelike capabilities. Hollow round construction.

very few items a designed stricktly for the fly tying industry

I don't know if what I'm sharing is correct but when I first saw the Larva and Liqui Lace products a doctor friend looked at it and thought it was an item from the medical industry. No matter where it comes from it's a really cool product to tie with. Take care & ...

Swannundace "D" lace was the for runner to all of them came out in the 60's. Guy in jersey had some really good colors either in solid or trans-lucent. I still have a lot for sale.

post-624-0-53619900-1542978364_thumb.jpg

I believe that SWANNUNDAZE was Trademarked 4/3/1978 by F. A. JOHNSON, INC (New Jersey); not the '60s. I recall it as solid vinyl much like the plastic kid's craft lace of the time.

I didn't think it was produced more than a year or two. I recall the time when we looked back at "the Swannundaze Craze".

Swannundaze was sold for several years, but don't know exactly when it first came out. I used a lot of it back in the late 80's & early 90's. It was popular for tying the bodies on bonefish flies like the Crazy Charlies, usually the clear or lighter transparent colors such as pink, over a mylar tinsel base. It was also used for ribs & body wraps on nymph patterns. I still have some too, and use it for a Stonefly nymph pattern that I tie.

There was also a product called D-Rib, which replaced Swannundaze, even before it was no longer available

Earlier this year, I bought a big roll of black vinyl rib material in a craft store, so that's what I've started using for my stonefly pattern, but really wish the Swannundaze was still being sold, as I liked it much better. What I have left is only used for sparingly.

it was trade marked in 78 but was sold on the local market for years before. Ernest Schreibert tied with in the 70's (who I learned it from). I have every color and size in a collection. plus around 1000+ for sale. I use it still on a lot of patterns. nymphs, streamers, wets, etc.