Fly Tying
zip

EP perch

Been practicing with craft for and EP a lot lately. This is the best I've produced. Tying a bunch up for Okeechobee next week!Should be a killer!

Any advice on this one?

Steve

post-3092-0-12206900-1552290096_thumb.jpg

Been practicing with craft for and EP a lot lately. This is the best I've produced. Tying a bunch up for Okeechobee next week!Should be a killer!

Any advice on this one?

Steve

I actually find they fish better tied less densely fwiw. The colors still pop in the water. I tie them about 5" long, you could find that getting smacked by some big fish ! This time of year around here big breeder pickerel love those things ( like 29" pickerel that are roaming in 5-11 ft of water now). And later going into May the big bass like them (around here anyway).

Nice pattern, once you fish it you will see what I mean about tying them less dense or more sparse, which ever way you want to look at it. They flow better in the water imo. It will still fish as is though.

Any advice on this one?

Steve

I actually find they fish better tied less densely fwiw. The colors still pop in the water. I tie them about 5" long, you could find that getting smacked by some big fish ! This time of year around here big breeder pickerel love those things ( like 29" pickerel that are roaming in 5-11 ft of water now). And later going into May the big bass like them (around here anyway).

Nice pattern, once you fish it you will see what I mean about tying them less dense or more sparse, which ever way you want to look at it. They flow better in the water imo. It will still fish as is though.

I appreciate the advice Dave!Will do on my next one!

My only advice is ... hold on to the rod after that sunfish hits the water !!!

Hope you're right bud!

Looks good to me, Steve. Pretty close to how I tie my bait fish patterns. Without seeing a front profile I really can't tell if you used too much material. In the picture I can see the hook bend and part of the hook shank through the material, so it looks good to me. Change the colors up and you have great minnow or shad profile. Did you high tie or v-tie the pattern?

Either way it's a killer pattern where there are perch around for big fish to feed on. I troll them too. Tied smaller works too, it's just a great way to tie a bait fish.

You can tie up smelt patterns that way too. I used to dead drift small ones at power station dams in Maine back when those materials were just getting popular. It was a pattern and retrieve some of the salmon up there hadn't seen before. Hah, by now they have seen so many trick flies I've gone back to traditional Gray Ghosts up there or tied on a tube too, that works great in some of those pools up there.

Hey today is actually like spring outside, 50deg f and snow is melting rapidly...

Looks good to me, Steve. Pretty close to how I tie my bait fish patterns. Without seeing a front profile I really can't tell if you used too much material. In the picture I can see the hook bend and part of the hook shank through the material, so it looks good to me. Change the colors up and you have great minnow or shad profile. Did you high tie or v-tie the pattern?

The tail is tied with a pinch on top and bottom,body is 3/4 sparkle dub brush and the front 1/4 I've tried the fibers in facing forward then folded them backwards.The front profile is round/teardrop.

Either way it's a killer pattern where there are perch around for big fish to feed on. I troll them too. Tied smaller works too, it's just a great way to tie a bait fish.

You can tie up smelt patterns that way too. I used to dead drift small ones at power station dams in Maine back when those materials were just getting popular. It was a pattern and retrieve some of the salmon up there hadn't seen before. Hah, by now they have seen so many trick flies I've gone back to traditional Gray Ghosts up there or tied on a tube too, that works great in some of those pools up there.

Hey today is actually like spring outside, 50deg f and snow is melting rapidly...

I appreciate the kind words Dave!Hope all is well buddy!