Fly Tying

I catch more bass on this pattern than any other topwater -- it produces good fish from April through October here in Michigan. It kind of splits the difference between poppers and divers--it gives not quite a "pop" but a nice, muted bloop! when it's stripped, and doesn't so much dive as it sort of wallows under the surface film, like maybe it's trying to dive but it's too weak to make it happen. Smallmouth get all over this thing. It's just about the only deer hair bug I tie anymore.

post-36073-0-25878700-1503114507_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-89068900-1503114512_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-83306300-1503114516_thumb.jpg

Bryon, great deer hair work and thanks for the description of the action. I've seen topwaters shaped like that and always wondered exactly how they acted. May have to try some though my deer hair skills aren't nearly as good

Thanks agn54 -- the deer hair work is mostly a matter of buying good hair; that makes a world of difference. I buy all my spinning hair from Pat Cohen's website http://rusuperfly.com/.

I also use Cohen's original Fugly Packer http://rusuperfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=62

Pack on as much hair as you can and use a new double edge razor blade to trim each bug you make.

My skills aren't anywhere near Cohen's (or those of some people on this forum), but I'm at a point where my bugs are durable and do what I want them to do, so I'm happy with that. :)

Nice man, I am a fan of Cohens ties, he has some amazing stuff going on. I tie a couple muddlers here and there for orders but thats it. The only deer hair in my boxes are bucktail. I'm more of a fan in using foam and making gurglers...

Guest rich mc

nice sliders. funny about my local lake sliders in the am and poppers in the pm . rich mc

I tie a mullet version for sea trout on the flats and have gotten all biggest ones on them.

Great flies.