Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Floatfisher

Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon were accidentally released

Did not know we were growing Atlantics in the Seattle area. There have been enough escapees from Canadian aquaculture outfits that I've heard there are now 'runs' of Atlantics in some BC rivers. Considering how pressured the remaining salmon stocks are on the West Coast, this is not good news.

Did not know we were growing Atlantics in the Seattle area. There have been enough escapees from Canadian aquaculture outfits that I've heard there are now 'runs' of Atlantics in some BC rivers. Considering how pressured the remaining salmon stocks are on the West Coast, this is not good news.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article168610432.html

Well Floatfisher, they've tried hard to establish a fishery for many years without success but it just may an accidental stocking that takes over what they couldn't do purposely. I guess I've given up on man's attempts to control nature, experiments that usually end in disastrous results. This is not always true as in the Great Lakes salmon and steelhead varieties stocked creating a great fishery and bringing a lot of money to the regions benefiting from these introductions. As for the Atlantic Salmon escape, I find it hard to understand without some study why this is a bad thing. It's not walking catfish or snakeheads. These are salmon. Great eating, great sportfish, and why not let people have the chance to fish to a large population of them? Seems like the escape is a bonus to the river not a detriment but I'm sure further study of DNR findings would show me why I'm wrong.

blah blah blah. Turns out even the ecosystem-destroying northern snakehead is having next to no quantifiable impact in the waterways it is inhabiting- tidal reaches of the Potomac, etc. Great eating, hard fighting gamefish which are filling a niche that no other "game" fish filled.

Pacific salmon stocks are down in the area, and now there are 30,000 Atlantic salmon augmenting it... no one knows what the long term effect will be. No, they are not SUPPOSED to be there--- bounce that idea off every other aspect of human influence on our waters and wildlife.... There aren't SUPPOSED to be zebra mussels, gobies, and spiny water fleas in the Great Lakes- every one of which was supposed to doom the ecosystem to miserable failure, and all of which had unanticipated benefits. Smallmouth Bass are not SUPPOSED to be in the Susquehanna River- they are not native and were introduced in the mid 1800's.... Brown Trout are not SUPPOSED to exist in North America, Steelhead are not supposed to be in the Great Lakes, on and on and on when it comes to aquatic ecosystems. In reality, IF these Atlantics figure out how to make any spawning runs, I'm sure that in a few years time the native americans will have them mostly gill-netted out, and the commercial fishermen will have cleaned up almost all the rest. Once in a while someone will catch one and it will be an oddity-- just like catching a Pink Salmon or a Coho or a King is now a major rarity in any Lake Erie tributary...