Fly Tying
Mike West

Sage Bass rod....

Sage use to make what they called a bass bugging rod in the late 90's or early 2000's I use to borrow a demo all the time from a local shop. Think it was rated for a 7/8 and I think they made one in a 8/9 maybe...Dave Whitlock was involved or was indorsening it or something. I'm guessing it was IM6 graphite

Anyone know the year they made them or the model #'s.? I've been Googleing and all the info I can find are on the last two series they have introduced.

I really liked that rod.

Thx

My buddy has one of those but that's all I know about them lol

Can you give him a shout and ask what the model and serial number is for me?

They started making that rod in the early 2000's I believe. It was an 7'11" 7/8wt which made it legal to be used in bass tournaments because it fell under the 8ft rod length rule. They still make them, they are just called Sage Bass II series now.

They started making that rod in the early 2000's I believe. It was an 7'11" 7/8wt which made it legal to be used in bass tournaments because it fell under the 8ft rod length rule. They still make them, they are just called Sage Bass II series now.

Yeah but it's not the same taper and is not made from the same materials.... not too mention they are an obnoxious butt ugly green color with a red reel seat!

And I'm guessing if I can find a used one I can get it cheap.. I just don't know how to search for it.

Google is clogged up with the last two versions they did

They didn't change much on them other than cosmetics, don't fall for all the "upgraded graphite materials" BS that is tossed around by all the rod makers. The original ones were rated in the exact same grain windows of these Bass II ones (230/330/360/390) so that hasn't changed at all. Just the normal cosmetic redo and toss out some fancy new terms for graphite and repackage it for the new year like they all do.

Probably won't fine any model # or such for the first one because it just went by Sage Bass rod so pretty hard to narrow it down for a search. I really can't recall ever seeing any used ones up for sale in the past either so I don't think you'll have a whole lot of luck finding one out there most likely.

the sage bass rod i have is the "largemouth" and it came with 330 grain line (roughly 10 wt)

no model number but it does have a serial number

qvbqPZx.jpg

zZDkxsn.jpg

there were three rods in the series. "bluegill" (230 grain line), "smallmouth" (290 grain line) and "largemouth" (330 grain line)

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/articles/reviews/product/2009/product_reviews20091102.php

Mike ... are you interested in THAT rod (nostalgia or Sage fan) or just in that style of rod (length and action)?

If it's just the style ... Steve could probably build you a rod with the same aspects.

Mike ... are you interested in THAT rod (nostalgia or Sage fan) or just in that style of rod (length and action)?

If it's just the style ... Steve could probably build you a rod with the same aspects.

Nostalgia mostly. I really liked that rod and fished it a lot.