Fly Tying
Bimini15

Another Customer Service Thread. Want to bet?

It has been many, many years since I have contacted any customer service department with a complaint about a product. But I just contacted Sperry about a pair of shoes. Here is what I sent:

"I have owned and enjoyed multiple pairs of Sperry Mako boat shoes over the years. My last was a few years ago.

Earlier this year I decided to go back to Sperry and purchased a pair of Billfish boat shoes that have been quite disappointing.

In just a few months the seams are coming appart where the leather meets the rubber, all around the front of one shoe, and part of the sole is unglued on the other.

I am looking forward to hearing from you about my options."

My question is duofold:

1. Has anybody, by chance, had any similar experiences with Sperry?

And 2. (Just for fun) What is your guess as to their reply?

Thanks.

If they are like the shoe companies I have dealt with and its within 6months I would expect a simple "return them sir and new pair coming."

Truth is quality has gone down in so many areas that its a real struggle to know where to put your cash.

Keep on buying from the internet...you will successfully lose any local convienence, customer support and service, put people in your community out of a job, and effectively raise your own taxes (since your local store won't be chipping in anymore)...keep it up you dummies - of course saving a buck or two and having the extreme hassle when things go wrong (like this post) are certaintly worth it...

Where did Bimini say he bought those shoes online?

Many stores have the policy that if you have problems with the product you need to take it up with the manufacturer NOT the seller.

I agree Salty although a good shop that wants to retain local trade will often deal with this for you. I try to buy local where I can, often for a little extra ££ but it works as they try to look after you. If a shop is only looking after themselves then they can't blame anyone when they are overtaken by the huge online machine

No worries Bellevue.

I did buy local and mom'n'pop this time. But only because I had a gift certificate to this store alone. This store has been as good as closed to me for many years. Expensive, no selection, etc. I figure they stay open on the money they make on the boat sales side of the business.

I did not think of bringing the shoes to them. That's on me.

Keep on buying from the internet...you will successfully lose any local convienence, customer support and service, put people in your community out of a job, and effectively raise your own taxes (since your local store won't be chipping in anymore)...keep it up you dummies - of course saving a buck or two and having the extreme hassle when things go wrong (like this post) are certaintly worth it...

Flyty you got to start rolling with the times. It's more the way of retail then anything else. When exactly has any store warrantied a product that they sell, mom or pop or otherwise. Every retailer out there for the last 20 years all have you deal with the manufacturer. You've got to let go of the past and realize there are very very very few benefits of a mom and pop shop over a mall, mega store or an online shopping warehouse.

Blah, blah, blah. You're a broken record with this stuff, flyty1. And calling the rest of us "dummies" isn't supporting your case.

I will call anyone a dummy who won't stop and think about their actions...maybe you prefer sheep - since it is easier to go along with the heard than to have some backbone and act responsibly.

flyty, do you know amazon employs over 350000 people. Thats equal to 35000 mom and pop shops. Do you know that wages are far higher at amazon than at a mom and pop shop. Do you know amazon offers their employees benefits unlike a mom and pop shop. Do you know that amazon delivers things right to your doorstep for less money than a mom and pop shop. I think that's some great customer service.

So to put it in easy to understand terms for you, as a consumer, amazon wins hands down. As an employee, amazon wins hands down. On customer service amazon wins hands down. Even the fed and state tax man wins hands down. Your precious local government politician loses nothing. Where I'm from we pay earned income tax to the local town that's based on our wages. This tax generates far far more revenue than a local shoe cobbler would. My local area benefits from more people working in higher paying jobs.

I live in a town where it's a mom and pop store or nothing else. And my experience is that these merchants are just as greedy as anyone else and customer service can be just as good or bad as anyone else.

Ok guys - the next time you need assistance / instruction / service or help choosing an item, peer into your little computer screens or contact Amazon - don't soak up the time of a real person in a real store (and then run off to save a buck on Amazon) good luck with that...

All I am trying to point out here is the luxury you enjoy from your local businesses extends far beyond saving a buck or two.