Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Two nymphs

From a 30 year old fly box. I don't know the fly names. These are both #18 itty bitties. Both flies have been fished with. Getting this close to flies this small--and all still in focus isn't easy. This is a 6 exposure focus stack. Focus stacking is tricky and difficult now. In another three or four years it will likely be a new point and click menu item for new cameras.

up-2019-12-06-14.44.55ZSDMap_Two-nymphs.

This one is a 56 exposure focus stack--of a Terrible Troth--tied by Al Troth

Wow! 56 exposure stack!

Kimo

A Bunyan Bug. Norman Means (aka Paul Bunyan, locally in Montana, not sure which town) made these. I think he died in the late 1940s so this is an old bug. This was the fly they used in A River Runs Through It, when whatshisname caught the big fish and went swimming for it.

This one a 46 exposure stack. My focusing rail is set to 1mm increments and this translated to 46. I probably could have set it to 2mm increments, and then it would have been 23 exposures. I was lazy.

up-2019-12-07-11.21.03ZSDMap_Bunyan-bug.

Cell phones do a surprisingly good job, if you hold them close and steady. But this is a bit beyond what a phone can do. A regular dslr with a macro lens would only have about 1/10th this length in focus.

Does anybody know what fly this is? I'm not good with classic dry fly names.

The one in front is unused. The one behind has the barb bent down with a bit of something organic dried onto the hook. And the wings are a bit ragged, as if they were once chewed.

up-2019-12-07-12.26.35ZSDMap_Two-dries.j

Little Marryat?

Little Marryat, Geo. Marryat, 1876.

Visually one of my favorite patterns of this project

This looks closer than the one I tied.