Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Source for Dyed Rabbit Hides?

I am looking for bright fluro colors to use in some double bunny, zonker, and predator flies. So longer fibers and soft tanned hides are a must. I can cut my own and by the time I buy the cross cuts and the standards and magnums I want, I might as well get a whole hide in each color.

Thanks for any tips in advance.

Rocco

You have to buy in quantity from Chichester - minimum of $75 before shipping. They don't seem to update their website very often - every time I've called them, they've never had what I want, even if it's listed on the site as in stock.

Barlowstackle.com has about 16 diff colors. They have just about everything that I need. I live near enough to go pick it up from the store, but the color you see online is color you get. Look under Fly tying and jig tying material. Then under dyed Hair, fur or tail.

Thanks. I just placed an order with Chichester for 7 of the Better Grade skins including several fluoro jobs. They had everything I wanted. Now to keep my Lab from getting at them....

Rocco

A few months back I got rabbit skins from two different sources and was very pleased with each place. They were Wapsi Fly (you'll have to get your local shop to order from them) and Cascade Crest. Both outfits have been suppliers of mine for many years.... I buy both un-cut and pre-stripped rabbit for different uses... Hope this helps

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954)435-5666

Thanks. I just placed an order with Chichester for 7 of the Better Grade skins including several fluoro jobs. They had everything I wanted. Now to keep my Lab from getting at them....

Rocco

Rocco, be sure to let us know what you think of the merchandise; I'd be interested in picking up some skins. BTW - keeping my materials in sealed plastic bags and putting mothballs in the drawers seems to keep the canine interest to a minimum. They'll snatch it right up otherwise. Doesn't work on all dogs though - I used to have a chow chow who'd eat through six inches of concrete to get at a bucktail. His droppings made it look like he'd slaughtered a herd of pink and blue deer.

My namesake on this site was Rocco,our Spinoni who was at my feet when I signed on here. He was a gluttonous omnivore who could reach anywhere. Among his many stunts, he once ate the hide off a large deerhair patch. The mounds of black hair left behind were awesome!

We lost Rocco two weeks ago and he left a huge whole in our house. I am going to change my display name here soon as it is not helping me get past the grief stage. It never gets easier.

Rocco, for now...

Sorry to hear about your loss. The only thing I don't like about dogs is that they don't live long enough. We've always had a houseful of pound pups - six the last time I looked. We had seven, but we lost our beautiful chow chow/German Shepherd last year at the age of 14. Hang in there Bro.

The skins arrived today. The colors are vivid, the hides are soft and flexible, the hair is straight and even from one end to the other, and they are huge -- maybe twice the size of the craft store hides. I got the $15 bettter grade and they sure look to be worth it. There is a $75 minimum order by the way.

Rocco