Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite Coldwater Species

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Coldwater Species

Just what is your very favorite coldwater species?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

The four biggest trout I have taken on dry flies smaller than 24s were 2 Yellowstone Cutty's, a Snake River Cutty, and Greenback Cutty. I love stalking prespawn Browns sitting off the bank a few inches with big meaty streamers. And I also love any big Brookie especially taken after a good hike at high elevation. Grayling are fun cause they are weird, hard to find in the lower 48 and they shimmer a purple hue right out of the water, I have landed a 15-inch grayling in Utah. I have never landed a Bull trout, but they are on my list, or a true Muskie. I have landed a 47-inch Tiger Muskie, and a 50-inch Pike on flies. Never gotten to fish Atlantic salmon, I think they are out of my fun coupon range. Steelhead are way too cool, and I have had a few on my line, but never to hand, any fish that can swim up hill, 1200 miles and 1500 feet of elevation has my respect. Golden trout are fun, but all I have landed were at night, so I never got a really good look or ever kept one. Splake are fun and weird in a Brookie humpback kind of way, I have caught a dozen or so of them in Colorado.

So how did I vote, Cutthroat all the way, so many different types of Cutties, and so little time. The innocence of the cutthroat take on a dry just got me.

Cheers, Futzer.

PS, I want to meet the member that votes Whitefish, that is someone to share a beer with.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#17 lilmoosecountry

lilmoosecountry

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

No Trout has more spunk pound for pound than the Brook Trout

#18 salmo-salar

salmo-salar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

Stalking browns is a lot of fun, espeically when you only have 1 shot at them. Landed a chunky 18' inch brown today in crystal clear water. I definitely spend most of my fishing time casting for browns.

As I know them, brook trout are fearless, spunky, beautiful, and a joy to catch and eat.

I voted the Atlantic salmon, because they are the ultimate challenge. They are king.

#19 flydude

flydude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

Cuthroat all the way. Way fun to catch. Cook them up on the grill and salt them up, YUM its delicious. biggrin.gif
ROBY

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Pick up your trash this isn't a city park.

#20 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

I voted for northern. Nothing can compare to those big nasty bitin' teeth! bugeyes.gif
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#21 Jeff Welker

Jeff Welker

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

Cutthroat - Specifically Salmo Apache.

#22 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

I hear ya
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#23 jwilson

jwilson

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'd have to say brookies because out of all those species, I've caught the most brook trout. headbang.gif

#24 Wellman

Wellman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

What no hybrids?? Voted Brookie (Got to love living 2 hours away from Barbe Lake the holder of the Brook Trout World record)

Where I'm from almost every Trout lake has a hybrid.

Splake - Brook Trout and Lake Trout

Tiger Trout - Brook Trout and Brown Trout (My favorite just the most beautiful colors)

Sparr -Brook Trout and an Arctic Char

#25 Firetiger

Firetiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

Voted for Grayling; I love the way my hands smell after I touch them - true ladies of the stream ;-)

#26 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Wellman @ Jul 11 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What no hybrids?? Voted Brookie (Got to love living 2 hours away from Barbe Lake the holder of the Brook Trout World record)

Where I'm from almost every Trout lake has a hybrid.

Splake - Brook Trout and Lake Trout

Tiger Trout - Brook Trout and Brown Trout (My favorite just the most beautiful colors)

Sparr -Brook Trout and an Arctic Char

It would take up too many spaces to list all the hybrids! Thats why there is a "_______________ I missed" choice.

Voted for Grayling; I love the way my hands smell after I touch them - true ladies of the stream ;-)

Hmmm.......a new perfume line?

Jan
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#27 crappiekid24

crappiekid24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

I voted Brook Trout but Brown Trout is a close 2nd with Steelhead (Great Lakes) close behind that.

#28 LeviD

LeviD

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

voted for the rainbow trout i especially like fishing for them
Speak softly and carry a big stick

#29 2bonthewater

2bonthewater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

I voted for Chinook ( king salmon ) for a few reasons..........they only run rivers in the fall and you need to plan your trip a year in advance........they strike like a freight train........they tear line off a reel like no other freshwater fish I have encountered........now, the only place I have fished for them is in Pulaski, NY........so, they are not sea run fish.....I can only dream of the day I can encounter a sea run Chinook..........not sure I can afford it in my lifetime.......

All I know is that when they strike your fly........it is usually like someone just tried to rip one of your arms off............

I love my troutie fishing..........but, it I had my choice...........I would fish for Chinook Salmon....with the Steelhead and Coho salmon coming in a close 2nd and 3rd
www.2bonthewater.com

#30 ibian

ibian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Suicidal great lakes steelhead for me.
Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation.